+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted for quad 33/405 interconnects

I'm John.

Default Advice wanted for quad 33/405 interconnects

I am currently having my Quad 33/405 updated by Lee at Redhill and I want to improve the interconnects as well, using 2 core screened Neotech 3004 cable which I know performs well with my son's Naim XS .
    I want to make up a 5 pin din to rca to connect the preamp to Chord 2qute dac. The din plug is straightforward, with L and R channels and screen connected to the ground pin. I am unsure how to make the connections to the rca plugs. I have connected the signal cables to the centre pins of the rca plugs, but connected the screen to only one plug ( R channel). The interconnect works but only if the Chord is grounded from the screw terminal on the back of the case. (Incidently, should the 2qute be grounded to the 33 preamp which also has a ground terminal on the back?) Advice would be much appreciated.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

How are you grounding the Chord DAC? Is it directly to the mains earth?

Have you tried splitting the shielding of the Neotech cable and connecting it to the outer part of both RCA plugs?

If it were me, I would buy a ready made 5-pin DIN to RCA phono lead from Flashback sales. They are very well made, can be made to any length, use good quality Neutrik connectors and are not expensive.

https://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/aca...ca-cables.html
    Barry

I'm John.

Hi, thanks for the reply. The first lead I made up had the screen braid split and connected to both rca plugs. This did not work, no sound. I then disconnected the screen from the L channel plug. When I tried it initially I got severe feedback which was stopped by grounding the Chord to the mains.

I’ve trawled through past posts on the forum and a number of people have mentioned the Rane note 110 on interconnects which, having read it, made me realise that a little knowledge (in my case) can be a dangerous thing which is why I posted the enquiry to see if anyone else had come across a similar problem and found a solution! I am guessing that the Quad 33/405 because of the use of din plugs and sockets is a balanced set up and the Chord is unbalanced because it takes its power from a 12v transformer and isn’t directly earthed.

I take your point about the ready made leads but I would like to use the mono crystal Neotech cable If I can because it does make a significant difference to the sound quality, certainly on my son’s Naim system.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

How have you wired the DIN plug?
    Barry

I'm John.

latest-of-5-pin-din-plug-wiring-diagram-to-rca-solutions.jpg

Connections looking from the back of the plug: screen to pin 2 / R channel pin 5 / L channel pin 3

I'm inactive.

Worth checking before you go any further whether the power lead to the 33 is actually earthed or not.
    I have bought a couple in the past where the previous owner in one case had used a two core lead and in another had disconnected the earth at the mains socket end. Not saying this will cure the problem but it does seem odd that the hum disappears when you earth the DAC.
    Obviously if there is no mains earth connection to the 33 then adding a wire between the Chord and the 33 earth terminal on the rear will do nothing.

Incidentally, I don't believe the use of Din sockets on the 33 means they are balanced inputs or outputs - just a different connector than RCA.

I'm inactive.

Also wondered which input you are using on the 33 to connect the DAC?

The Radio inputs are likely to be too sensitive for the Chord but If you use the Tape input you can make adjustments via the pull-out Tape board

I'm John.

Hi
    The 33 is earthed to the mains, I recently had to solder a new Bulgin plug. I am using the tape socket with the card on the 1v setting.

I'm John.

Hi Mike,

A question for you, it looks as though you know your way round the 33. What power amp and speakers do you use? I have had my 33/405 since 1976 (the typical 70’s system Thorens/Quad/Spendor) and really I am only just finding out what it is capable of and I’m exploring ways of making improvements.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
    Hi
    The 33 is earthed to the mains, I recently had to solder a new Bulgin plug. I am using the tape socket with the card on the 1v setting.
    Weird then that the Chord is acting up - the wiring diagram you posted is correct. Have you any other sources with RCA outputs you could try?
    Last edited by mikmas; 26-08-2018 at 20:18.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast