+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worthwhile 10 minute tweak

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    My tweaky heads been niggling me since getting new speaker cable, took 10 minutes to do this and very glad I did.
    Music flows slightly better and is a touch more open at the top end, especially on female vocals.

Its worth getting your cable up off the carpet folks, no audio foo required.
    Is this not why The Chord Company offered the 'Carnival Silver Screen' Carnival in an anti vibration secondary sleeve

I'm Gary.

To me, the difference I heard was more about static from the carpet..dialectric ‘n all that good stuff.
    Far enough away from the wall to be any concern too.

Ten minutes, worth a punt even just to see if lifting speaker cable off the carpet makes a difference in your setup, it did mine.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 06-03-2020 at 15:52.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

To me, the difference I heard was more about static from the carpet..dialectic n all that good stuff.

Ten minutes, worth a punt even just to see if lifting speaker cable off the carpet makes a difference in your setup, it did mine.
    maybe i need to hang myself off the wall on a hook
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Crikey!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

My tweaky heads been niggling me since getting new speaker cable, took 10 minutes to do this and very glad I did.
    Music flows slightly better and is a touch more open at the top end, especially on female vocals.

Its worth getting your cable up off the carpet folks, no audio foo required.
    What's in the trunking on top of the skirting board?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Gary.

3 runs of Cat 6 Ethernet Chris.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm openingabottleofwine.

To me, the difference I heard was more about static from the carpet..dialectric ‘n all that good stuff.

I can't - mine run under the floor (but are not used now), along with some balanced-line cables.

How do you think the 'static' is generated by the carpet?
    Barry

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

3 runs of Cat 6 Ethernet Chris.
    That's alright then
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    That's alright then
    Aye...
    If it were power cables, might not have been a good idea to run speaker cable along it.

You see how I stated it was Cat6 and not 7?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I can't - mine run under the floor (but are not used now), along with some balanced-line cables.
    How do you think the 'static' is generated by the carpet?
    Just walking across a carpet can build up a static charge I think?
    Didn’t look too deeply into it, aside to my ears there being a slight nudge towards better sound the cable looks better off the floor as well.

Under floor cables would be even better, but that’d be work and I have stone floors so not do-able.
    Handy not having a springy floor for the turntable though.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast