+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worthwhile 10 minute tweak

I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

Default Worthwhile 10 minute tweak

My tweaky heads been niggling me since getting new speaker cable, took 10 minutes to do this and very glad I did.
    Music flows slightly better and is a touch more open at the top end, especially on female vocals.

Its worth getting your cable up off the carpet folks, no audio foo required.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 25-08-2018 at 09:13.
    I enjoy Hifi n stuff...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Gaz, but you're preaching to the converted

Up off the floor, and away from walls, is *exactly* where ALL cables should be (mains and signal, including interconnects), as things definitely sound better that way, and I've been doing that for years. Now you need to do the same with all your interconnects, for another similar upgrade

Enjoy your free upgrade, which are always the best ones!

Marco.
    "Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears. - John Lennon

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

I enjoy Hifi n stuff...

I'm Lawrence.

Just out of interest, what's the theory behind this? I can see a marginal benefit from making them slightly further from any electrical cables running under the floors or in the wall, is that it?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

you'd be best not looking down back of mine
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/ROON - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RIP Terry... "We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose."

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Just out of interest, what's the theory behind this? I can see a marginal benefit from making them slightly further from any electrical cables running under the floors or in the wall, is that it?
    The thinking is that cables can act as a conduit for transferring vibration, from the floor or wall, into the equipment that they're connected to, which deteriorates the sound.

Of course there's no proof that's the case, but keeping them up off the floor and/or away from walls, does seem to make a difference, as noted by Gaz, myself and many others over the years who've tried it

Marco.
    "Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears. - John Lennon

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

I'm Paul.

Oh, my cables are all packed tightly together and stuffed in plastic trunking that is stuck to the wall above the skirting board. I have active speakers, so its all mains and signal cables bundled in there together.

Not heard any increase in noise as a result but I must admit I have not done any thorough A/B testing with the cables separate and in the trunking. I do feel better about them all being neat and tidy though.
    ~Paul~

Some say...

Depending on the dialectric used on a cable, it can emits a lesser or greater electric field which can interact with surrounding materials or surfaces, affecting the sound.
    Always trust my ears with these things anyway, but static that sits in a carpet cant be good for signal flow throuh a speaker cable?

Main point if the thread was that you dont need to spend foo money to try it.
    Bored of a Sunday and the Wife’s out? (so she wont laugh at you ), get a few ‘whatevers’ you have lying around and lift the speaker cable off the floor and listen.

Maybe even make a difference?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-08-2018 at 09:42.
    I enjoy Hifi n stuff...

I'm gone.

Cable lifters!

Go for proppa high end ones.

I'm Grant.

Used to get skirt lifters back in olden times

Before we get any complaints, they are little clips that hold the hem up off ground(you young folk eh?)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/ROON - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RIP Terry... "We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast