+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worthwhile 10 minute tweak

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hi Mike,

I don't believe it is necessary to use a dedicated 'radial' system over a dedicated 'ring'. My audio-only ring comprises 16 sockets available not only for my speakers (like you I use electrostatic speakers), but for the permanent equipment (turntables, phonostages, CD player, tuner, preamp etc.) as well a few spare outlets for occasionally used items such as tape decks etc.

The ring is protected by a separate Hager 32A RCCB connected to the meter via a 'Henley block'.

I can understand the reasoning behind using a radial system, but IMO it is only of help in reducing the the noise fed back into the mains supply generated by SMPSs used within your own audio system. In my case, none of the power supplies used are SMPSs.
    Unless there's a separate Consumer Unit etc. etc, blah, blah, then the chances are that all the neutrals are common anyway so little to no isolation in reality as far as I understand it....

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    You see how I stated it was Cat6 and not 7?
    No foil aerials to pick up any stray radio frequency anything
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Gary.

Speaking of maximising mains...

I’ve found balanced mains to bring quite the improvement, run my rig of a BMU (now a 10KVA one) for some years now.

Off work Friday so had some time on my hands and wanted this weekend to simplify my setup, tweak my Network and do a bit of ‘hifi housekeeping” that’s been niggling away for a while.
    So with everything disconnected from the BMU I took the opportunity to listen to my system directly from the wall.
    Sometimes good to go back and do a sanity check when you can?

No comparison, noticeable component level improvement, even with a power amp.
    Mains makes a big big difference folks.

Took the time to strip back the BMU external connections to fresh copper too, replacing the Henley blocks with Wago clip connectors for a better connection.
    So fresh copper, better connections and tidied up and properly dressed cable runs...all good.

Choice of cable used matters too?
    I use Oyaide Black Mamba v2 cable throughout the install.
    I tried lengths of a few different spur cables when planning it all, these are the best I’ve heard, and came out better than both top end Furutech and Furakawa spur cable.
    Its this stuff. http://www.neo-w.com/english/black-mamba-α.html)

Found my mains to be fairly stable at just over 230V, so no need for regulation or regeneration here, especially with balanced mains plumbed in.
    Cant fit a dedicated run back to the CU at my property, or I would, so this is s good as it gets for me, and I’m very happy with the improvements.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    No foil aerials to pick up any stray radio frequency anything
    Thats the Chappie!
    A wise man shared some wisdom on that one once...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    Unless there's a separate Consumer Unit etc. etc, blah, blah, then the chances are that all the neutrals are common anyway so little to no isolation in reality as far as I understand it....
    My dedicated ring does use a separate 'consumer unit': a Hager 32A RCCB.

Ultimately all the neutrals will be connected together at the meter; the point is the length of cable between an interfering source back to the common connction point and thence on to the rest of the audio components. The longer the cable length, the more cable resistance there is to dampen the high frequency spikes generated by SMPSs.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234