+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Podium Speakers - What Have I Done ??

I'm Rohan.

I just remembered something interesting.

I am a professional musician; at home to practice I use computer-based software synthesisers and pianos. I use Pianoteq virtual instrument software for piano https://www.pianoteq.com/.

When using the Podiums to listen to as I play, it's the closest thing I have heard to the real thing, compared to playback through studio monitors or other domestic speakers.

I have to say though, if you lean towards ballsy rock, such as Metallica or AC/DC or heavier/more modern, I would look elsewhere...

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    I just remembered something interesting.

I am a professional musician; at home to practice I use computer-based software synthesisers and pianos. I use Pianoteq virtual instrument software for piano https://www.pianoteq.com/.

When using the Podiums to listen to as I play, it's the closest thing I have heard to the real thing, compared to playback through studio monitors or other domestic speakers.

I have to say though, if you lean towards ballsy rock, such as Metallica or AC/DC or heavier/more modern, I would look elsewhere...
    The designer and builder Shelly Katz is a professional concert pianist so the speakers are voiced to optimise that.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Simon.

Vdg, its probably the size of the sound that works, those panel are about a piano lid size.

Personally they're the second worst speaker I've heard. FR is lumpen, extension pitiful and they can't do detail. But each to their own, were not meant to like what everyone else likes.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Lawrence.

I imagine they wouldn't be a million miles away from my Arcaydis hybrid panel speakers, they had passive Rel sub drivers for bass and 2 NXT panels per side. I.thought they sounded great, so did the guy who bought them. I guess there must have been something I didn't like as I moved them on after a few months, I recall they sounded best on classical and acoustic, and I had to get used to the high treble rolling off, but my memories are overall positive so definitely give them a chance Bev.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

I've heard them several times at shows and liked them a lot for classical music.
    I came pretty close to buying a pair but none came along used at the right time for me.

Bev should be very worried.
    (We usually have very different tastes in audio.)

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Vdg, its probably the size of the sound that works, those panel are about a piano lid size.

Personally they're the second worst speaker I've heard. FR is lumpen, extension pitiful and they can't do detail. But each to their own, were not meant to like what everyone else likes.
    I'd go along with that though I have heard quite a few worse. My concern would be - are they still made and is there a UK distributor for backup/service if anything goes wrong ?
    Also, they are relatively unknown, so not as easy to move on at a later date as the Maggies would be.

I'm Paul.

Podium Speakers, I remember those. Saw them at a show the first time they came out and spoke a while with Dr Katz. Interesting idea but I wasn't overly keen on them, but I am never keen on anything that's playing the kind of music I have no interest in. They will most likely do a few things very well and some other stuff not so good.
    ~Paul~

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    They will most likely do a few things very well and some other stuff not so good.
    Very true.
    Pretty useless at slammy music - rock music or electronica or big orchestral can be a sorry affair unless you like them emasculated.
    Best at the simpler less complex and dynamically constrained mixes where imo they can really do a fine job and seem quite startlingly real.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    My concern would be - are they still made and is there a UK distributor for backup/service if anything goes wrong ?
    Podium Sound went bust a few years ago. It was a classic case of over extending on model development and Dealers refusing to stock a model that was in competition with their existing brands who's owners threatened to withdraw from the Dealerships.

My main concern was that many components such as the drivers and the tuning fingers on the main panel were glued. With Shelly Katz having the only expertise in repair, this is a real worry. There is a review where panels sent abroad arrived with drivers detached and Karz had to fly out to do a repair.

My own experience over 3 years was that they sounded best with a Class D amp.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Thanks for all the lovely replies and so sorry for my delay in getting back to this thread..... however....

Went for a listen to the Podium's yesterday morning, taking some test cd's with me, and my very first impressions of them were favourable

I would have to agree with comments already made that they are certainly 'different' sounding. To be honest they sounded like nothing else I've ever heard and it did take me a while to adjust to them

I have to say they are superbly made and finished speakers and these are in absolutely pristine condition as well, they look brand new

I was left alone with them so I could keep swapping cd's and to listen to particular tracks I knew well

To be honest trying to get a 'handle' on any particular sound in isolation (rather than doing A/B listening) I find quite difficult and also, of course, the room and environment is completely different than my own at home

To cut a long story short I thought I've got to try these at home so I purchased them

Unfortunately once I got home I then went out for the rest of the day so didn’t get to get them out of their huge box and install them until about 3am this morning and obviously that’s a bit late, especially for my lovely neighbour, to start a listening session

I’ve ‘plonked’ them down in front of the Maggies which I know is not ideal however they don’t seem to mind

The Podiums do indeed sound like nothing else. They are so different it is actually quite tricky to explain what they do sound like, and I’m not very good at this, but I’ll do my best….:

• They have ‘feeling’… sorry that’s a bit vague… but I seem able to get a an idea of what the performer was ‘getting at’….. that’s probably a terrible description but I’ll leave it at that
    • I am hearing things I’ve not heard before… I’m not saying they are ‘that’ detailed, because I don’t think they are especially, but they do have a certain coherent sound and everything holds together very well
    • They are not what I would describe as an impressive sounding speaker, They have a sound that is far more complex than just sounding impressive. Actually ‘complex’ is probably a pretty good description of the Podiums
    • Musical is perhaps another way I would describe their sound
    • They do not sound like speakers at all.. I know that’s another rather vague description but that’s how I feel

As some have commented they are probably not for heavy metal fans but as that’s not me I don’t have a problem with that

I do apologies if none of my ramblings make much sense but it’s the best I can do at the moment

I’m now settled for the night so will be having a longish listening session with my new monoliths so will come back when I have more to say

ps.. Jerry maybe we actually do like the same thing this time
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast