+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Podium Speakers - What Have I Done ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Podium Speakers - What Have I Done ??

I've just purchased a pair of Podium Speakers

I've not even heard them but was just too tempted

I know the chap quite well that was selling them so I absolutely know they will be in good condition and working well so that did cut down the risk a bit

I'm going for a listen to them in the morning so wish me luck....
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Those are reputed to sound pretty good Bev. I think you may find them a bit livelier than the Maggies.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Those are reputed to sound pretty good Bev. I think you may find them a bit livelier than the Maggies.
    I really hope they are good Geoff

I just could not resist them

I believe that they do not suffer with some of the problems that both Quad electrostic's and, to some extent Maggies, suffer from ie. breakdown and unreliability after years of use....

I know Steve, of HiFi Hanger, pretty well and always found him to be a very honest dealer and really nice to deal with so lets hope all will be well with the Podiums when I hear them tomorrow....

I will report back tomorrow night if I do indeed collect them ok ...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Yeah. Steve is a good guy. Bought my Tannoys from him.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yeah. Steve is a good guy. Bought my Tannoys from him.
    He really is super to deal with

Steve, and his wife Sarah, came down to visit us some years ago and gave a very good price for some surplus hifi gear myself and Colin had available at the time

He seems very fair when he purchases or sells gear

He is only about 30 minutes away from me so not a problem to go and listen to the Podiums

I am just getting together some cd's I know well so I can check out the Podiums

I must be mad.....
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    surplus hifi gear
    There is no such thing as "surplus hifi gear". Ask Audio Al.

I'm Bernard.

Well done! Great bargain price too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm Alan.

Be very interesting how they compare with your Maggies Bev.

I'm Rohan.

I've got Model One.
    Podiums are a radical departure from most people's idea of hifi. At first they will just sound weird to you. Give them time. They are extremely rewarding once you get used to them.

They really can deliver so much musical detail and nuance. My musician friend said when listening to Sgt Pepper said he gained insight into Paul McCartney's diction and phrasing that he hadn't heard before.

I think when I listened to Take A Pebble by ELP on them, it was the most impressive reproduction I've heard. Huge soundstage, just huge.
    Sweet spot? They don't have one. You can sit almost anywhere and enjoy them.
    Room placement is almost immaterial with these- you can put them anywhere and it doesn't affect the presentation too much, although of course taking care will give the best results.

If you like classical or jazz, you are in for a treat if your ears can adapt. They do favour acoustic instruments. They are also lightning fast. I'd say they would be wonderful for a classical enthusiast.
    Drawbacks? Well, they can sound quite muffled a first. Bass is there but don't expect any bloom or slam.

I could be tempted to add a supertweeter to them, I do think they lack a bit of energy over the 10k mark.

Loved by some, hated by others, they are Marmite hifi for sure. I just happen to think that they are rather special.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    I've got Model One.
    Podiums are a radical departure from most people's idea of hifi. At first they will just sound weird to you. Give them time. They are extremely rewarding once you get used to them.

They really can deliver so much musical detail and nuance. My musician friend said when listening to Sgt Pepper said he gained insight into Paul McCartney's diction and phrasing that he hadn't heard before.

I think when I listened to Take A Pebble by ELP on them, it was the most impressive reproduction I've heard. Huge soundstage, just huge.
    Sweet spot? They don't have one. You can sit almost anywhere and enjoy them.
    Room placement is almost immaterial with these- you can put them anywhere and it doesn't affect the presentation too much, although of course taking care will give the best results.

If you like classical or jazz, you are in for a treat if your ears can adapt. They do favour acoustic instruments. They are also lightning fast. I'd say they would be wonderful for a classical enthusiast.
    Drawbacks? Well, they can sound quite muffled a first. Bass is there but don't expect any bloom or slam.

I could be tempted to add a supertweeter to them, I do think they lack a bit of energy over the 10k mark.

Loved by some, hated by others, they are Marmite hifi for sure. I just happen to think that they are rather special.
    Bev the negatives above, I just did not like the presentation at all, thought there was a bit of a horn typed colouration, cuppy sounding, even though they are not horns. Not my cup of anything. My advice if you don't like them after an hour or so of listening don't try and force, or kid yourself into doing so. They sounded like NXT speakers to my ears and I don't like those either.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 25-08-2018 at 10:54.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast