+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Podium Speakers - What Have I Done ??

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Sorry Bev, I got a bit lost with this checking which version is which re the Mozart due to jetting off to Zakynthos!

Bumpy, I'm interested in ore on your thoughts on the Podiums- and what you are getting from your open baffles that made it worth switching.
    I would suggest that what is most important with OB is what you don't get: the sound of the box!

That is why many panel aficionados like myself also like OB designs.

Geoff

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Bumpy, I'm interested in your thoughts on the Podiums - and what you are getting from your open baffles that made it worth switching.
    I bought the Podiums after hearing them at a dealers. I walked past them to the back of the shop to pick up a bit of kit I had bought on line and was stopped in my tracks by the wonderful sound. I loved the open presentation and relaxed sound, probably the opposite of the Hedlund Horns I was running at the time which gave a pinpoint dynamic presentation. Just very different flavours.

Eventually after a few years I got to hear some open baffles - again just a lucky encounter. Suddenly I found the combined attributes of speakers that I had looked for all my life. My past possessions also included B&W 5s and 2As, Yamaha NS 1000s, Snell Js and Lowther Fideleos. The cabinet resonances (boxiness) disappeared , but the dynamics of the conventional drivers (albeit vintage Alnicos) remained, but with a new carefree openness.

My caution over open baffles would be that they are easy to DIY and as such there are some pretty crappy examples out there using cheap drivers. Every penny you spend will be rewarded.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Open baffles is one of the speaker designs I've never heard..

It just occured to me that I've now owned most of the panel version types of speakers; Electrostatics (Quad), Magnetics (Maggies) and now the Exciter Motor Honeycomb Resonating Panel (or NXT Type, Podiums)

It remains to be seen if I prefer the Podiums over the Maggies but I'm really enjoying the Podiums at the moment
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

To carry on with my renewed interest in classical music I'm listening to some Vivaldi - Four Seasons... it's lovely.. not Mozart but still nice..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Panel speakers are 'open baffle'. It's a broad term and can apply to speakers that have bass drivers in enclosures with mid and top on open panels, or using larger bass drivers on an open baffle with acompanying upper drivers. Some employ bass equalisation.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Panel speakers are 'open baffle'. It's a broad term and can apply to speakers that have bass drivers in enclosures with mid and top on open panels, or using larger bass drivers on an open baffle with acompanying upper drivers. Some employ bass equalisation.

... or even a simple panel with an appropriate single full range driver!

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That makes sense Geoff, thanks

I think I've always prefered panel/open baffle type speakers but I've only just realised I can get a panel speaker to work in my room as I knew, from previous experience, that electrostatics need about 3-4 foot behind them to work properly. I am unable to give electrostatics the space they need however the Maggies seem happy with about 2 foot behind them and the Podiums seem happy wherever I put them as they are the most unfussy speaker I've ever owned
    Bev

However if I had a spare 3k I would probably rush out and buy a pair of Maggie 1.7i 's ....
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    However if I had a spare 3k I would probably rush out and buy a pair of Maggie 1.7i 's ....
    If your listening room is not too large these are probably a better bet than the 1.7s

http://store.hificorner.co.uk/magnep...84&fo_s=gplauk

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If your listening room is not too large these are probably a better bet than the 1.7s

http://store.hificorner.co.uk/magnep...84&fo_s=gplauk

Geoff
    Thanks so much Geoff...

Have your heard the .7's ? how did they compare to the 1.7's ?

My room is not large at all so maybe they might be ok
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast