+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Podium Speakers - What Have I Done ??

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

As a slight side note...

The Podiums are not an impressive sounding speaker but they are so natural sounding that doesn't matter and indeed I normally view speakers that sound impressive at first to be rather tiring in the long run... and the Podiums do not sound tiring at all, quite the opposite ..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Lawrence.

Got me wondering if I should have sold my Arcaydis NXT panel hybrids last year now. They weren't impressive but did have a certain relaxed natural-ness about them.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Looks like Marj + Henk still have theirs.

their line-ups feature...
    "Speakers: Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Omega; Arcadian Audio Pnoe; Podium Sound One; WLM Sub 12; Sounddeco Alpha F3; dual Zu Submisson MKI; Soltanus Virtuoso ESL."
    But they do have a rather vast place-two listening rooms....(caverns?)
    Chris.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I've probably mentioned it before but I didn't believe people when they said they could hear the box of a 'normal' speaker but having set up a pair of speakers for a buyer recently I could definitely hear what they are on about and once I tuned into it, which took just a couple of minutes, I actually couldn't bear the sound of the box as that's all I could hear
    Yes, I agree that boxed speakers do have a characteristic set of colourations, but personally I can happily switch from boxes to panels and back again, and have done so many times.

Your box speaker preference in the past, Bev, has been for very "boxy" speakers. Klipsch, Tannoy, LV - all more boxy sounding than most imo.
    You seem to have jumped from very boxy to no box at all!
    There is a middle ground, often addressed by an especially solid cabinet construction design, but it doesn't seem to have appealed to you for some reason.
    Quite perplexing!

I'm Chris.

"There is a middle ground, often addressed by an especially solid cabinet construction design,"

or....thin-walled speakers as well. Heavy speakers have been shown to resonate DESPITE the weight.
    Letting the energy 'OUT' works, I guess in a sense, quasi-OB?

My Callopes seem to vanish-apologies for what has become a cliche.
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Your box speaker preference in the past, Bev, has been for very "boxy" speakers. Klipsch, Tannoy, LV - all more boxy sounding than most imo.
    You seem to have jumped from very boxy to no box at all!
    The speakers I set up recently were the Rega RS3's. I don't know if they are "more boxy sounding than most"
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm gone.

Rega - yeah, quite boxy. But nowhere near as much as e.g. Klipsch Heresy.
    You do have a strong preference for boxy sounding boxes, Bev!

And now, Maggies, no box at all!
    I guess as a woman you are allowed to change your mind?
    --- oops, am I allowed to say that in these PC-ridden days?

-- my boxless Podiums arrive Thursday, btw.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    "There is a middle ground, often addressed by an especially solid cabinet construction design,"

or....thin-walled speakers as well. Heavy speakers have been shown to resonate DESPITE the weight.
    Letting the energy 'OUT' works, I guess in a sense, quasi-OB?

My Callopes seem to vanish-apologies for what has become a cliche.
    Aye, true that.

Spendor and Harbeth take the thin-walled approach as well and achieve very low colouration levels - they do have dynamic problems though imo.

I was gob-smacked by the low level detail (and neutrality) of your Calliopes, Chris - just amazing, still the best I have heard in that regard, I think.

Rockport speakers (and Wilson) take the truly massive brick out-house approach to speaker cabs, and that can work very well. But you still don't get the truly boxless character of a panel, especially in the bass.

I'm Dennis.

If you've 'landed on' a speaker you really love and want to settle with, but the coloration due to the box is a problem, as a one#off you can really eliminate most of it with careful use of internal wooden battpn struts and supports - which are not necessarily rigid, this improving lossiness.

I think that my own last attempt is pretty good, and I quote Arthur Koubessarian; "There is absolutely not box coloration".

The lossy approach compromises bass O/P and transience.

I think it's more a case that I just love the sound of Maggies rather than them being boxes or not to be honest
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast