+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: audirvana plus for windows

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not sure i did anything, but it appeared.. feart to switch off now
    No but it's working.

So at least you get to try the full fat version with networking and the sound through Volumio is noticeably better with Audirvana in place to my ears.

How is it for you?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Hi Geof

Not wanting to get into a PCM vs DSD up sampling thing I do think that the DAC used has some bearing on the resulting sound with either format.

My IDSD does indeed sound better up-sampled to DSD but my Audiolab DAC+ and Pro-ject pre box2 not so much. The networked KefLS50W sound best with no up sampling to my ears.

True a lot of horse power is needed for DSD up sampling but that's pretty much the same for any programme.

But

I just noticed some chat over on Audirvana Forum re the way that it uses CPU resources when buffering and up-sampling.

https://audirvana.com/forums/viewtop...1&t=1872#p7499

So maybe that aspect can be worked on for something a little more PC friendly.

What I have noticed it that PCM or DSD Audirvana sounds pretty good to my ears. No special PC required for PCM IMHO.

What sounds best may be subjective.
    Always subjective, but to my ears the DSD processing removes a level of haze that is present on the PCM signal. Listening the DSD stream just sounds more "analogue". The post you refer to may be a way forward (i.e. restricting AV use of CPU processing time) though I am guessing this is not for the novice user. I am also using Volumio (through a Rpi/Digione into a Caiman SEG).

My free trial with AV has now expired and I think I will wait a little while to see if the Windows app app(ears), and the various bugs are sorted out.

Geoff

BTW, I like the posters notion of a HIck Up!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Always subjective, but to my ears the DSD processing removes a level of haze that is present on the PCM signal. Listening the DSD stream just sounds more "analogue". The post you refer to may be a way forward (i.e. restricting AV use of CPU processing time) though I am guessing this is not for the novice user. I am also using Volumio (through a Rpi/Digione into a Caiman SEG).

My free trial with AV has now expired and I think I will wait a little while to see if the Windows app app(ears), and the various bugs are sorted out.

Geoff

BTW, I like the posters notion of a HIck Up!
    ''BTW, I like the posters notion of a HIck Up!''

''The post you refer to may be a way forward (i.e. restricting AV use of CPU processing time) though I am guessing this is not for the novice''

Nope the above is something for the developer to sort out.

''My free trial with AV has now expired and I think I will wait a little while to see if the Windows app app(ears), and the various bugs are sorted out.''

Maybe a wise choice.

Having heard the MAC version along with uncertainty around my own ability to make a meaningful contribution to the Beta test I just opted to buy the licence.

The ability to remote control and network playback really does add value to the software IMHO. I'd not be on board without those features.

I'm liking what I hear so far but the coming addition of KS may be even better (or not)

But you are right. Still a few bugs to squash but from the first release it's improved steadily.

So let's hope that continues.

I'm Grant.

should it be dsd direct or over psm.. what other settings would be best? in both volumio and av

oh and what's KS?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_streaming

Scroll down to Kernel Streaming.

Just another way of bypassing windows Kmixer and volume control.

It's an oldie but a goodie to my ears.

Favoured buy software such as Jplay as the best sounding compared to Asio/Wasapi.

You should have it in Jriver.

I'm Grant.

give it a read...ta
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Audirvana have reset the trial software so that one can get another free trial.

The very glitchy software seems to have improved in the latest version, so I am giving it another month.

Geoff

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Audirvana have reset the trial software so that one can get another free trial.

The very glitchy software seems to have improved in the latest version, so I am giving it another month.

Geoff
    its working a lot better Geoff. sure new features will come to it over time.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

alas i never got to use their forum.. i registered but they didnt send me a reply email so cant sign in.. i did contact them but no reply...i guess i must have offended the guy at some time...still its a very poor way to run a forum connected to your product.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

I've uninstalled it and started the refund on Apple for the app, it sounded good but I lost out on Spotify, Bandcamp and TuneinRadio integration that I get with Squeezelite on my SoTm network adapter, so because of that and the cost I didn't feel it was worth it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast