+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do when a supplier doesn't stock all of the components you are considering

I'm Phil.

Default What to do when a supplier doesn't stock all of the components you are considering

I am plannning my new system and have a number of different amps, speakers and streamers that i want to try out but i can't find a dealer that stocks all of them. How does everyone else deal with this when auditioning new components?

I'm Matt.

You end up going to several dealers to get to see all the options on your list, or you go to a dealer you trust & accept a smaller list of options.
    It is simply unrealistic to expect dealers to have every possible option available. A decent dealer will have confidence & knowledge of their chosen products, whilst acknowledging that there are other brands available.
    Realistically, trying to listen to more than maybe 3 competitors in a session is not a great idea. You can’t chop & change between eg 5 different amps, or speakers or streamers at a time, it’s just too much to remain objective about.

I'm Phil.

It is more being able to listen to an amp with a particular pair of speakers that i am interested in. One of the amps (Peachtree Nova 150) i am considering only seems to be held by one dealer in the UK.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    It is more being able to listen to an amp with a particular pair of speakers that i am interested in. One of the amps (Peachtree Nova 150) i am considering only seems to be held by one dealer in the UK.
    you could see if they do home trials of both products, so you can try them. no easy matter when they are different companies alas.
    Inclined personally to get a set of speakers you can live with then trial different amps til you strike lucky.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Matt.

Yea, in that case, as Grant says maybe a ‘sale or return’ type home dem may be the way to go, if the dealer agrees to that way of doing things.
    Pay up front, take home the dealers demo unit, give it a whirl over a couple of days & if it floats your boat, return the dem unit for a bnib one or a refund if it doesn’t work for you.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    you could see if they do home trials of both products, so you can try them. no easy matter when they are different companies alas.
    Inclined personally to get a set of speakers you can live with then trial different amps til you strike lucky.
    Wise words indeed. It's much easier to work this way because the speakers and room are the biggest variables and if they don't work together to satisfy you no amp is going to turn that around.

Change one component at a time - Wish I'd paid more attention to those words many years ago!

I strongly suggest a cheap class D amp as the starting point for amp comparisons. You can't lose much when you find better, and many are now far more than just 'decent for a cheap amp'.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

See if you can have the peachtree for a 'home trial' for a week or so, and drag it round all the dealers selling the speakers you're interested in.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Timothy.

It would be worth seeing if both dealers would allow a home demo of said components at the same time. If a dealer has confidence in their own product and they typically allow a home demo, shouldn’t be an issue, although timing could be tough at times? That way you know how the “system” works in your space, critical in my opinion, versus dealer show room. FWIW....
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Russell.

I’ve picked an amp that was most like the one I owned. It’s not a perfect plan, but I got an idea of how these speakers sounded with a 150 watt A/B amp in the $800 range. When I got the speakers home and connected to my amp, yes it was different! But, not worlds different. I was lucky and it was even better! But, with a return policy you can have a reasonable level of confidence. But, as I said, it wasn’t worlds apart, both amps sounded damn good, I could have lived with either.

So if the store with the speakers has an amp like the Peachtree, which may be more difficult to find than an old A/B, but he may surprise you. And if they have such an amp, and the speakers sound good on that amp, then there is a super strong chance it will sound good with your amp. If not? Change amps.

Russell

I'm Deleted.

I’ve been at the ‘front end’ of the business and understand the pressure a dealer experiences. I’m also an enthusiast and understand those desires - and how the two differ. I would explain your needs/thoughts honestly to each dealer. If they are sympathetic I would then go for a shop demo. After I had all my shop demos of all the gear that was I was interested in I would seek a loan, or demo with my own gear of the two, or (at most) three components that most impressed me. Note, if a dealer can’t produce a good ‘in shop’ demo of a component I wouldn’t personally take it any further.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread