+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rega Planar 2

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I’ll pop round and have a fettle!
    Ah thanks Adam! Let me sort out the bits first and then we can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Geoff's right there is only one drive belt, however the other belt i was talking about holds the motor onto a bracket on the underside of the plinth, it's a bit crude looking but was how Rega did it for many years, below is a picture of what i mean, 2 grub screws hold the rectangular metal bar to the underside of the plinth, i guess the idea was to give the motor a little "give" and would probably isolate the motor more than bolting it direct to the plinth.

Regarding bearing oil, you can get it from ebay, but it's basically motor oil 5W I think

Thanks Mike. I'll try find some time to open it up and have a look. What I did find, so far, is when the TT spins down the spindle scrubs against the plinth a bit. I guess that is due to the belt having to much give as it has aged.

Do you have a link for the musiccraft belt offer? I could not easily find it.

Thanks Geoff for the arm and cartridge links.

Edward
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mike.

it's halfway down the page of special offers i posted, i'd suggest giving them a call though as there doesn't seem to be any way to order on line.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Edward.

Spoke with Rick at Musicraft. Sadly all his sales are strictly collection only. I can't justify going all the way to Derby to pick up some belts.

Anyway I have ordered some belts from some guy on the bay. Not original Rega stuff but feedback is good. Also included is a motor suspension belt which I will renew.

On my travels I saw someone selling a delrin bearing and sub-platter. His video demo pretty good. Maybe I will do that another time. About £60.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Oh, I also turned the TT over to see what is what.

Clearly I need to sort out the cheap insulation someone used when installing the tonearm.

The motor looks super easy to replace if I ever need to.

§

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Spoke with Rick at Musicraft. Sadly all his sales are strictly collection only. I can't justify going all the way to Derby to pick up some belts.

Anyway I have ordered some belts from some guy on the bay. Not original Rega stuff but feedback is good. Also included is a motor suspension belt which I will renew.

On my travels I saw someone selling a delrin bearing and sub-platter. His video demo pretty good. Maybe I will do that another time. About £60.
    I've seen/replaced so many 'Rega' belts bought from Amazon or E-Bay, over the years. If it isn't from a Rega stockist, it isn't a Rega belt and might well degrade the performance. Why spoil the ship for the sake of a couple of Pounds ?

I always have Rega standard and White belts in stock.

I'm Edward.

Oh dear, maybe I have made a mistake. Don't think I can cancel so lets see what happens. I can always come to you Dave if a genuine Rega part is called for. The 3 belts I got only £9 so no big loss.

It's all a bit of experiment. Maybe the sound quality will not be up to what I was using recently (a Gyrodec with a world design phonostage - sadly that had to go) in which case I'll probably just flog the RP2 and find something better. Or stick with digital.

I'm Geoff.

Extend the arm wires a bit using similar coloured wire and heat shrink sleeving and solder them to a tag strip screwed the the underside, then solder the lead 'out' to that or fit phono sockets to the back and use a separate interconnect. You may need metal screening over exposed wires and tag strip etc.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Geoff's right there is only one drive belt, however the other belt i was talking about holds the motor onto a bracket on the underside of the plinth, it's a bit crude looking but was how Rega did it for many years, below is a picture of what i mean, 2 grub screws hold the rectangular metal bar to the underside of the plinth, i guess the idea was to give the motor a little "give" and would probably isolate the motor more than bolting it direct to the plinth.

Regarding bearing oil, you can get it from ebay, but it's basically motor oil 5W I think

EP90 Gear oil is better.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Oh dear, maybe I have made a mistake. Don't think I can cancel so lets see what happens. I can always come to you Dave if a genuine Rega part is called for. The 3 belts I got only £9 so no big loss.

It's all a bit of experiment. Maybe the sound quality will not be up to what I was using recently (a Gyrodec with a world design phonostage - sadly that had to go) in which case I'll probably just flog the RP2 and find something better. Or stick with digital.
    I have a Planar-3 in just now for a service and it has an E-Bay belt which cost (I believe) £8. It is marginally tighter than the Rega belt and feels rough as I pull it through my fingers. That will be audible.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I have a Planar-3 in just now for a service and it has an E-Bay belt which cost (I believe) £8. It is marginally tighter than the Rega belt and feels rough as I pull it through my fingers. That will be audible.
    Interesting.

Let me see how I get on for now. Maybs the whole experience will poor in which case I may look at buying something much higher up the food chain.

As a matter of reference for now Dave what is your price for a white belt.

Yesterday I was tinkering with an ancient Nakamichi DR2 cassette player. Renewed the belt and other stuff. Was skip material but now working great. Very fiddly doing the belt on that. Silly prices people selling these for now.

E

§

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast