+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rega Planar 2

I'm Edward.

Default Rega Planar 2

So I'd like to listen to my old vinyl so dragged out an old Rega Planar 2 deck.

This has not been used for a good 20 years. I recall it sounding good. Plugged it in and motor running.

What do I need to do to bring it up a reasonable level? I'm assuming at a minimum a new belt is required.

Also the tonearm does not appear to be standard for the RP2. Anyone know what it is and how to adjust things?

In terms of phono stage I plan to plug it into a Sugden, but I do have a Project phono stage kicking about somewhere.

As a complete alternative I also have a Dual CS515 - condition unknown but use to work OK. Would I more usefully spend my time on getting the Dual up and running?

Anyway here are some pics of the RP2.

Cheers

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mike.

I would say sort the Rega out, motors, bearings etc. are all readily available, the deck is a piece of cake to work on. First off i would clean and re oil the bearing, replace the drive and motor retention belt and while you have the motor off give it a clean and lube the motor spindle, you should be able to find some videos on you tube showing you how to do all of this, but it really is very simple.

regarding the arm, i don't know what it is, but i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to cast some light, all i'd do to start with is make sure its attached securely, and then check it's aligned and set up correctly, if you haven't got one i'd suggest buying a set of VTF scales, so that you can set up the correct weight the stylus is placing on the vinyl.

I would say that as long as nothing is broken and you don't need a new cartridge you shouldn't need to spend more than about £20 to £30 on bits and pieces.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

I agree with the above. It's a decent sounding turntable. The tonearm is a Hadcock, can't remember which one, but it should be pretty good and probably warrants a better cartridge.

Forget the Dual, they're OK, but won't match the Rega.

I'm Barrington.

A Planar II with a Hadcock Arm should sound sweet with a decent cartridge.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mayebaza View Post
    A Planar II with a Hadcock Arm should sound sweet with a decent cartridge.
    Agreed, a better 2nd hand Ortofon VMS a VMS20 or VMS30 if you have the budget would sound sweet. Also i noticed one of the trade members is selling the upgraded White drive belts for £10 each rather than the usual £22 http://www.musicraft.co.uk/special-offers/

I'm Mike.

BTW the arm is a Hadcock GH228

Hadcock GH 228 technical specifications
    Type : Unipivot. Overall armtube length : 289.6 mm (Export 307.34 mm). Effective length : 228.6 mm. Arm mount type : hole. Mount hole size : 15.87 mm. Height above mount : 43 ~ 90 mm. Pivot stem length : 86.4 mm. Pivot to platters centre : 212.85 mm (pre ca 78 models 212.80). Offset angle : 23°. Rear overhang : 60.09 mm. Adjustments available : Headshell angle, overhang, arm height, tracking weight, lateral balance, anti-skate and lift position. Bearing friction : 6mg. Tracking force : 0 ~ 5 grams. Pickup mount type : Standard 1/2 inch. Cartridge mass : 3 ~ 12 grams (14 grams with an optional 90gram counterweight). RRP : 36 UKP (228 Super 1976), 98.90 UKP (228E 1981), 78.20 (228 Export 1982)..

I'm Edward.

Wow, I look away and come back and see loads of useful info. Thanks Mike, Geoff and Barrington.

I'll get some belts (I guess there are two, one visible and one within the motor assembly). I have some super thin oil (Singer for their sewing machines) - will that do?

Any ideas on the cartridge weight I should set? I have a working arm load meter. I don't know how to set the anti-skating mech. I guess just leave as is.

I'll now go and check out the belt offer.

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

There's only one belt. Sewing machine oil is probably OK for the motor bearings, but I'd use something slightly more viscous for the platter spindle/main bearing. The VMS3 Mk.II will probably be OK tracking at around 2 grams, it should sound pleasant enough.

Here's the spec: https://www.ortofon.com/vms-cartridges-p-614

This may help with the arm: http://www.soundhifi.com/images/228_instructions.pdf

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Wow, I look away and come back and see loads of useful info. Thanks Mike, Geoff and Barrington.

I'll get some belts (I guess there are two, one visible and one within the motor assembly). I have some super thin oil (Singer for their sewing machines) - will that do?

Any ideas on the cartridge weight I should set? I have a working arm load meter. I don't know how to set the anti-skating mech. I guess just leave as is.

I'll now go and check out the belt offer.

I’ll pop round and have a fettle!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mike.

Geoff's right there is only one drive belt, however the other belt i was talking about holds the motor onto a bracket on the underside of the plinth, it's a bit crude looking but was how Rega did it for many years, below is a picture of what i mean, 2 grub screws hold the rectangular metal bar to the underside of the plinth, i guess the idea was to give the motor a little "give" and would probably isolate the motor more than bolting it direct to the plinth.

Regarding bearing oil, you can get it from ebay, but it's basically motor oil 5W I think

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast