+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USB versus NAS

I'm Tony.

Default USB versus NAS

First off, this is just initial impressions after some noodling around having temporarily replaced my usual NAS based files server with a directly attached USB 3 hard disk.

Original configuration:-

• RPi/Allo Boss connected by CAT5 Ethernet cable to BT Home Hub Router, Buffalo Dual Disk NAS connected via CAT5 Ethernet cable to Home Hub Router.
    • Media Library on NAS is controlled via Macbook Pro running JJRiver Media Centre wirelessly.
    • RPi running Volumio 2 connected (via CAT5) to NAS

No problems to speak of, everything works and sounds pretty damn good in comparison to the CDP using Xiang Sheng DAC01a

New Configuration:-

• RPi/Allo Boss connected via CAT5 Ethernet cable to BT Home Hub Router
    • Media Library copied to USB Hard Drive connected via USB3 cable to RPi

Sound seems to have come alive! Clearer, more detail, deeper bass (that Allo Boss signature sound) and just, well more going on!

Initial impressions are that such a difference means I will have to use the NAS as a backup device, not the USB player! I can't see myself swapping the USB drive out, even if it means it's more of a pain to update the Media Library.

In effect, I'm using the network to manage the 'headless' aspects of RPi/Volumio setup, but the actual FLAC files are as directly connected as they can be to the DAC, and it appears (to me at least) to make a significant difference in the quality of the sound that ensues.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

i can samba music to the external hdd on rpi although its slow. if you have a few to do its quicker going and taking hdd to pc
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i can samba music to the external hdd on rpi although its slow. if you have a few to do its quicker going and taking hdd to pc
    Along the lines of what I need to look at next Grant. I want to find the easiest way of keeping all the components online (for ease of admin and backup purposes) but keep the USB connection direct to the RPi. If I can get both the NAS drives and the USB drive accessible at the same time on the Macbook, it'll be sorted.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Along the lines of what I need to look at next Grant. I want to find the easiest way of keeping all the components online (for ease of admin and backup purposes) but keep the USB connection direct to the RPi. If I can get both the NAS drives and the USB drive accessible at the same time on the Macbook, it'll be sorted.
    I only use USB with my Pi - found setting up a NAS a chore so didn't bother.
    I access the drive on the Pi via my Mac Mini over WiFi in the Finder menu by:

GO>Connect to Server>cifs://moode/USB or
    GO>Connect to Server>smb://moode/USB

Log in as Guest and this should mount the USB drive on your desktop so you can transfer files, etc.

I presume this would work equally well with Volumio instead of Moode in the path

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    I only use USB with my Pi - found setting up a NAS a chore so didn't bother.
    I access the drive on the Pi via my Mac Mini over WiFi in the Finder menu by:

GO>Connect to Server>cifs://moode/USB or
    GO>Connect to Server>smb://moode/USB

Log in as Guest and this should mount the USB drive on your desktop so you can transfer files, etc.

I presume this would work equally well with Volumio instead of Moode in the path
    Nice! I’ll give that a whirl a bit later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Clive.

I use a Windows Share with my Pi over ethernet. It's certainly a step up from a USB connected drive.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I use a Windows Share with my Pi over ethernet. It's certainly a step up from a USB connected drive.
    I can do that too from either pc or files on router. Prefer the direct wired USB I think but will give it another try
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I can do that too from either pc or files on router. Prefer the direct wired USB I think but will give it another try
    I find USB to be softer sounding which might preferable depending on the system. Windows Share is more incisive.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    That is essentially what Tony was doing before - Windows Share (and the Mac equivalent) is basically NAS by a different name

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    That is essentially what Tony was doing before - Windows Share (and the Mac equivalent) is basically NAS by a different name
    Yep, it's probably even the same CIFS protocol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast