+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USB versus NAS

I had great problems playing 192KHz files from the NAS. They were not being transported fast enough, which was causing buffering issues. So in a moment of madness I added a 1TB SSD in one of my laptops and put all my music on that laptop.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I had great problems playing 192KHz files from the NAS. They were not being transported fast enough, which was causing buffering issues. So in a moment of madness I added a 1TB SSD in one of my laptops and put all my music on that laptop.
    I think 1Tb SSD connected directly may be where I’m going to spend money next, I’ve already upgraded the Macbook’s drive a while back but I don’t use the Mac as a source, only media library management and astro image processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Steve.

I have just ordered a Pi 3B+ and DAC HAT, I was thinking of using Volumio, any thoughts?
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    I have just ordered a Pi 3B+ and DAC HAT, I was thinking of using Volumio, any thoughts?
    volumio2 works pretty well and is easy to set up. Sounds good too,
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    When Moode 4.3 is released it will become available again as an 'easy to install image'. Why not try that also and see which you prefer?

I'm fabulous.

Another vote for Moode from me... 4.2 is excellent and what Tim has planned for 4.3 is impressive
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Grant.

I got my moode 4.2 pre set up for me and it is good. Glad to hear the next iteration will be easier to set up or come pre done.
    Volumio2 is fairly easy to set up. Ive also got picoreplayer/ Logitech server on a card too. I needed helpwith that but it's good too. In some ways the best.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Take this for what it's worth....

I have an allo digione player (it comes with a Pi 3), running picoreplayer (a logitech client - squeezelite), taking flac files from LMS (logitech media server), LMS is running under linux on an x86_64 (intel) machine , and reading files from a NAS, via NFS over ethernet

I have in the past compared LMS running on the linux machine vs LMS running directly on the NAS, and could hear no difference.

Prompted by this thread, I have recently tried running LMS directly on the Pi, reading the flac files directly from the NAS, (via NFS over wireless), or from a local disk (over USB).

Again, I could hear no difference.
    Last edited by PaulBarnett; 30-08-2018 at 10:09.
    khozmo passive pre/nytech ca252/cxa252 amps, arc 101 speakers
    vinyl: --- lp12/kore/lingo4/ekos2/dv 10x5/gs accession
    digital: --- caiman SEG/allo digione, synology nas, rotel 965 cd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123