+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micro-Seiki DDX-100 / Marantz TT-1000 bearing oil

I'm Mark.

Default Micro-Seiki DDX-100 / Marantz TT-1000 bearing oil

Hi all,

My main turntable is a DDX-1000 and while the platter turns smoothly and quietly I'm wondering if I should do anything with the nearly 40 year old oil in the main platter bearing. I saw that back in 2009 a user here had a Marantz TT-1000 restored but it appears the restorer is out of business.

The bearing consists of a large steel ball that rides in a plastic cup. I can post photos once I have it apart. My plan is to clean it up and lube with synthetic motor oil. The oil in it is black in color which I assume is from wear.

Any expertise in safely lubing these types of bearings would be appreciated!

Mark

I'm John.

Whilst choice of bearing oils can be quite a contentious subject. I definitely wouldn't use one of the common engine oil types, as its viscosity and general make up is wrong for the low speed, low stress environment of a tt bearing.
    Engine oils tend to be designed with high temperatures and repetitive shear in mind, along with additives to increase adhesion to reciprocating surfaces and chemical attack from burnt fuel products.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Whilst choice of bearing oils can be quite a contentious subject. I definitely wouldn't use one of the common engine oil types, as its viscosity and general make up is wrong for the low speed, low stress environment of a tt bearing.
    Engine oils tend to be designed with high temperatures and repetitive shear in mind, along with additives to increase adhesion to reciprocating surfaces and chemical attack from burnt fuel products.
    Thanks, any suggestions? I have some 20w electric motor oil.
    Mark

I'm James.

Very interested, I use one of these and they are keepers in my book.
    The service manual says sealed for life, but not sure how long that meant back in the late 70s!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm John.

Again I would say no, as leccy motors tend to be high rpm devices so have different lubrication requirements.
    I would suggest getting some bearing oil from Origin Live, not cheap considering the quantity supplied, but it does the correct job. I would also suggest ongoing, that just like a car you should do an oil change occasionally. Say once every 2 years.

I'm Mark.

This came up in a search (no affiliation):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064BX44I...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Mark

I'm John.

Yep should be okay as was formulated specifically for TT bearings, so will have the correct viscosity/additives and other properties required that working environment.

I'm Angus.

Liquid Bearings is simply 5W synthetic motor oil packaged up in small bottles - nothing special about it.

Technics bearings, including those on the SP10 Mk2 use Anderol 465 compressor oil (actually that oil bottled up in small vials, and given a Technics part number). That is what I would use if I had to do the job. That said getting in to a Micro-Seiki 'sealed-for-life' bearing might be interesting

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Yep should be okay as was formulated specifically for TT bearings, so will have the correct viscosity/additives and other properties required that working environment.
    OK I pulled the trigger on that. The fact that it doesn't affect plastics is very important, it seems most TT bearings are metal to metal and don't have this concern.
    Mark

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by phonomac View Post
    Liquid Bearings is simply 5W synthetic motor oil packaged up in small bottles - nothing special about it.

Technics bearings, including those on the SP10 Mk2 use Anderol 465 compressor oil (actually that oil bottled up in small vials, and given a Technics part number). That is what I would use if I had to do the job. That said getting in to a Micro-Seiki 'sealed-for-life' bearing might be interesting
    The bearing isn't sealed, it has a plate on the bottom of the motor unit held with 3 screws. On the other side of the plate is the plastic (nylon/delrin?) cup.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/marantz-Tt_1000.html
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast