+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Micro-Seiki DDX-100 / Marantz TT-1000 bearing oil

I'm Paul.

I think that those two pieces of plastic form a thrust bearing to protect the spindle bottom and the bottom of the bearing housing. Also they possibly shim the motor rotor to the correct height, so that the motor runs most efficiently.

You could probably replace those with some PTFE discs of the same thickness.
    ~Paul~

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I think that those two pieces of plastic form a thrust bearing to protect the spindle bottom and the bottom of the bearing housing. Also they possibly shim the motor rotor to the correct height, so that the motor runs most efficiently.

You could probably replace those with some PTFE discs of the same thickness.
    Thanks, it looks like a sheet of .015" thick would do the trick.

On another note, I find it difficult to lock in a speed with no drift; the pots on the control unit are extremely sensitive. In the video I'm just barely touching them and I'm wondering if I should replace them with better multi-turn ones. While I had the bottom off I set the internal VRs according to the service manual but they are no better than the main ones on the control unit. I could almost replace the internal ones with precision fixed resistors.

Mark

I'm James.

Might it just be settling in? Mine is easy to adjust as I suspect yours was, you haven't changed the electronics at all, so I suspect summat mechanical. Those thrust plate things looked pretty mis-shapen, could it have something to do with them?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Might it just be settling in? Mine is easy to adjust as I suspect yours was, you haven't changed the electronics at all, so I suspect summat mechanical. Those thrust plate things looked pretty mis-shapen, could it have something to do with them?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I'll put the teflon in before I do anything else.
    Mark

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
    Thanks, it looks like a sheet of .015" thick would do the trick.

On another note, I find it difficult to lock in a speed with no drift; the pots on the control unit are extremely sensitive. In the video I'm just barely touching them and I'm wondering if I should replace them with better multi-turn ones. While I had the bottom off I set the internal VRs according to the service manual but they are no better than the main ones on the control unit. I could almost replace the internal ones with precision fixed resistors.

what is the record thats playing?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    what is the record thats playing?
    Mile Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants (1954) on Waxtime.
    Mark

I'm Mark.

By way of update, I received the PTFE sheet from Amazon and it's a bit thicker than the two pads that were in the bearing originally, .015" versus maybe .010" for the two. But they are so worn who knows how thick they were in 1979. I put in a single thickness and ordered some thinner stuff.

Bottom line is the platter takes a lot longer to spin down now. I should have timed it. So this maintenance is highly recommended for any DDX owners out there. I'll open it up after it runs in a while and check the condition.

Also, if you need some of the PTFE I have enough for several lifetimes now!

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123