+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Micro-Seiki DDX-100 / Marantz TT-1000 bearing oil

I'm James.

Well if the plate genuinely is delrin or nylon you'd be safe with the anderol 465, please keep us informed?
    I have no idea why lubing is not listed as a service item but the manual only specifies replacing the motor unit complete.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'll be interested to know how to get the platter off, and/or oil the spindle. I haven't managed to figure that one out yet in the decades of ownership of my DDX-1000.

I'm James.

You just lift the platter off. It's probably stuck to the spindle a bit. Gentle action will release it. But hold off oiling anything right now!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I tried lifting the platter up many times, even using copious amount of elbow grease. But mine seems to have some sort of secret locking mechanism somewhere. It just refuses to budge.

I'm Geoff.

The spindle should have a bit of end float in the bearing, so lift the platter as high as the float will allow and pack slips of card under the platter edge all round to hold it up, then use a plastic face mallet or a hammer and block of wood to ease the impact and firmly (but not silly hard) tap the spindle end. The platter should 'pop' free. I've used this method many times.

I'm Mark.

The platter will pop off but there's not much to see underneath unless you intend to take it apart. I'll provide photos of mine when I lube it.

Other work I've done in this table:

• Recapped just because of its age
    • Had the platter professionally polished and lacquered
    • Replaced the rotted feet with sorbothane
    • Put a cap across the power switch to reduce the turn-on pop (there is one on the schematic but not on my table)
    • Went through the speed calibration exercise with a frequency counter.

I have the SME armboard and plan to add a 3rd arm when finances allow. Fun fun! I don't expect to replace this table in my lifetime unless something irreplaceable dies.
    Mark

I'm Graham.

I always used PDP-38 oil for my turntable and r-2-r lubrication, but then the company paid. I don't think that I could afford it now.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Steve.

Fab th this. I would love one.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
    This came up in a search (no affiliation):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064BX44I...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    I have a bottle of that stuff I bought for Model train engines! Good to know I can use it on my ‘table if need be.

Russell

I'm Mark.

Yesterday the oil arrived so I dove in. Here's what I did:

Bottom of the DDX with cover removed:

Lower bearing removed. What looks like a blob of oil is a plastic disk, which I'll show later.

Top covers removed:

Motor out:

Motor apart:

These plastic disks fell out. I assume they need to be replaced, not sure with what. I just put them back on top of the thrust bearing.

All surfaces were cleaned and re-oiled with the synthetic and after buttoning it up it's running smooth and silent. I'll chalk this one up as a success but I am concerned about those plastic disks, I assume they used to be flat.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast