+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Will a well-modded Technics 1210 see off a Michell Orbe?

I'm Frederick.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Hi Rick - I bought my SR5 directly from Paul Hynes back in 2012 and it was about £350.
    I've no idea if they are still available or not but please see this thread in the Trade Impressions section which gives all the latest info:
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Ltd-is-closing

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info and link! I hope Paul still builds ‘em..

Regards

I'm Barrington.

Having listened to several incarnations of the above, I would say it's like comparing a carpenter to a chippy. Both work very skillfully with wood, but you wouldn't ask one to put up roof rafters and the other to build a chipendale cabinet. I am more an ornate kind of person, therfore I favour the Orb rather than the Disco Dance Master. That been said, when it comes to electronic music, the Techies leave most TTs standing.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Never heard any of the Gyro/Orbe family that didn't have a perceptible speed wobble. Depends whether this bothers you but it upsets me no end.

But then again I even heard it on my Voyd 'The Voyd' 3-motor deck - however sophisticated the PSU, very few belt drives can really pull off the speed stability of a DD or idler and the ones that do weight as much as a traction engine.
    I have owned an Orbe and a couple of years ago a Gyro SE and they both suffered from a marked speed wobble and not only that but the speed changed after it had warmed up, but I am very susceptible to speed fluctuations, even a record hold slightly off centre I find annoying.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Winston.

Interesting thread. Never thought that the Orbe/Gyro would have been so prone to wobble. Even more so than a Linn, apparently. One would have thought the Orbe's massive platter would have helped to make it outstanding in that regard. Apparently not. Guess you can't tell by looking. Very interesting.
    Main system: Lenco L75, Thorens TD-125, Technics SL1700, ReVox A77 two-track 15 ips, Sony PS-1, Dell laptop, mxr, eq, Audio-Research LS-3, UREI 6150, DIY two-way speakers with Altec 802/811 & Goodmans 18” midwoofers.
    Author of; “HIGH-END AUDIO on a BUDGET”

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I've owned some really good belt drive decks, Linn LP12 Voyd and Roksan but now I've got my 1210 sounding the way I want it, there is no going back to belt drive for me.
    Last tweak was the Oyaide BR-12 mat and the icing on the cake sonically.
    Never thought when I first got my 1210 mk2 it could sound this good, very happy chappy.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456