+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will a well-modded Technics 1210 see off a Michell Orbe?

I'm Richie.

i'd swap my modded techie for an orbe. i quite fancy having a go on a posh belter.

I'm Andrew.

Never really been a fan of the rubber band brigade. Had a few thorens anspd the linn but always preferred idlers and dd.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Retief.

I used to have a slightly modded 1210 (with Timestep PSU, Isonoe feet, various mats, OL Encounter arm etc) and even though I enjoyed it, I've never looked back since buying an Origin Live Resolution. It is just so much more refined, airy, bigger soundstage and velvety, yet more detailed than the Techie. I know it's not a Michell, but my 2 pence nonetheless.

In saying that, looking at your taste in music I think the grip of the DD Techie will work better for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Which audiomods arm did you go for Mel?
    Its the Series V with micrometer VTA mounted in a custom board for the Techie and setup for the cartridges I use.

I had the Classic II prior to this.

Its an arm I will never sell or replace.

Jeff is a great guy to deal with and his skills are amazing.

Pictures here:

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2ni8pl1.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2b2kxi.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/xnuhp5.jpg

Mel -

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Interesting! And with an SME V arm, too...! thank you for commenting on your experience, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm interested to hear.
    Don't get me wrong - I am not saying the Techie is better than the Orbe/SME V/Kontra B

I owned the later for many years and sold it for much more than I paid for it - A Garrard 401 also went (for 4 times the price I paid) so you can get a feel for the TT's I have had when I say I like my present setup - not better than either but also no loss of personal music enjoyment.

The Orbe setup had a very detailed open and smooth sound and was partnered with a modern Quad Classic amp - its a sound you would be very happy to live with and not want for anything else.

The Techie has a different presentation which I can only describe as being more like listening to a live band than a polished studio recording (i.e. the Orbe).

The Techie came my way as a £100 well used DJ deck (judging by the remnants of curry, peeling paint and corrosion to the speed dots on the platter edge probably caused by beer and sweaty hands).

I have access to an engineering shop so it was completely stripped re dressed and powder coated and rebuilt at no cost other than my time. My plan was to sell it but after trying it with the Audiomods arm I just realized I could pocket a lot of money and not loose any of my listening enjoyment.

Mel

I'm Nari.

My advice would be to listen for yourself its so subjective we all have our personal tastes, the Michell orbe should not be too hard to get a dem on and you might even find a kind AOS member owns one and will allow you to have a listen. If I still owned one you would be most welcome.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Deleted.

Jolly nice arm that Audiomods design.

——-

My comment earlier regarding the Orbe was only with regard to the sound; Michell, as a company, I think are absolutely excellent.
    Account Deleted

I'm Nick.

Thanks guys for all your contributions, lots to think about here. I should say I'm not at all unhappy with my 1210, been listening to it all day today with great enjoyment as always, but I'm also accustomed to it - in 30 years I've never owned another TT so that's the sound I'm used to.
    Having been offered a Michell deck at a decent price I just began to wonder if it might be worth trying something new. But I'm not sure its worth it to shell out the thick end of 3k (inc a new arm and cartridge) for what may be a sideways move, when I'm really not unhappy with my trusty Techie. And I don't think I would ever sell my 1210, I've put too much time and money into it over the years to ever let it go.
    But its always the way, as soon as I get everything settled and sorted and sounding nice in my system, I want to look for an excuse to mess around with it a bit and try something else. That's part of the fun of this pursuit for me, and I'm sure for many others here too.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    Its the Series V with micrometer VTA mounted in a custom board for the Techie and setup for the cartridges I use.

I had the Classic II prior to this.

Its an arm I will never sell or replace.

Jeff is a great guy to deal with and his skills are amazing.

Mel -
    Very nice Mel, i've been told Jeff is a great guy to deal with by others who have bought arms from him and also that the series 5 can't be beaten unless you're prepared to spend SME V money and even then it's a close thing.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Very nice Mel, i've been told Jeff is a great guy to deal with by others who have bought arms from him and also that the series 5 can't be beaten unless you're prepared to spend SME V money and even then it's a close thing.
    Audio mods a great arm comparing arms can be quite daunting as turntables and cartridges influence matters greatly I know many decks that work flawlessly with a Sme Tonearm and others that just dont also generally many Sme arms floating around seem to be old etc its hard to say, I find when I send my arms for service to sme they always come back sounding much much better.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast