+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will a well-modded Technics 1210 see off a Michell Orbe?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Many people can’t hear it and if you can’t, you are lucky.

As a musician with perfect pitch it drives me bananas.
    I hear it too which is maybe why I like my Techie 1210 albeit heavily modded

I'm Nari.

I personally never got on with the 1200 and 1210 while very solid it me they were a bit clinical I do like the sp10mk2 with say a fidelity research fr64 and a spu you have a great value turntable with serious performance. As far as the orbe is concerned I like michell as a company they offer excellent support and are great to deal with. I overall find the orbe while quite musical lacking in sheer drive and scale but what to do get with michell is great peace of mind that they will be there to support the product in years to come.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I personally never got on with the 1200 and 1210 while very solid it me they were a bit clinical I do like the sp10mk2 with say a fidelity research fr64 and a spu you have a great value turntable with serious performance. As far as the orbe is concerned I like michell as a company they offer excellent support and are great to deal with. I overall find the orbe while quite musical lacking in sheer drive and scale but what to do get with michell is great peace of mind that they will be there to support the product in years to come.
    I have an FR 64fx on mine which isn't going anywhere

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I have an FR 64fx on mine which isn't going anywhere
    The SP10 vs extensively modded 1200/1210 debate is an old one but personally my money would be on the SP10.

I'm Adam.

I have a room half full of direct drive turntables and value them for their pitch accuracy and stability. That said, I also have a Michell Gyro SE which is as steady as I could wish for and also has superb bass.

Consequently, if we're talking the original SL-1200 (up to the Mk5), much as I'm a big fan of it, my vote would go to the Orbe.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Nari.

The sp10 is has so much more weight and authority and less dry than the rather crude 1200 for me I would live with the orbe over the 1200 but not with a techno arm just too agressive I heard the orbe sound interesting with a sme m-9r that was enjoyable while certainly not the last word in stability also heard and audionote arm 3 on a orbe sound pleasant.

I still love my FR66 sadly does not get used very much.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    The SP10 vs extensively modded 1200/1210 debate is an old one but personally my money would be on the SP10.
    Now behave, I'm spending no more on the vinyl side

I'm Nari.

The SP10 has so much more weight and authority and is less dry than the 1200 . I would live with the Orbe over the 1200 but not with a techno arm - it is just too aggressive. I have heard the Orbe sound, interesting, with a SME M-9R that was enjoyable while certainly not the last word in stability; also heard the Audionote arm 3 on a Orbe sound pleasant.

I still love my FR66 sadly does not get used very much. I know the FR66 has its following I overall would prefer an Ikeda 407 which is a great underated tonearm.

My micro sieki 8000 MK2 sounds has excellent pitch stable and solidity compared to my EMT 927, and yes it's a belt drive so it can be done sadly they are scarce these days. To my ears is so much more musical and enjoyable. The arm cartridge influence on a turntable has too me always factored in and takes alot of trial and error as can bee seen by all of toms efforts to achieve enjoyable vinyl replay. Its an expensive exercise and at the end of the day we all looking for different things.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 21-08-2018 at 12:28.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    As far as the orbe is concerned I like michell as a company they offer excellent support and are great to deal with. I overall find the orbe while quite musical lacking in sheer drive and scale but what to do get with michell is great peace of mind that they will be there to support the product in years to come.
    I have to say that the above criticism of the Orbe reflects my own experience.
    Account Deleted

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I have to say that the above criticism of the Orbe reflects my own experience.
    That said there are many reasons to purchase one and never would knock anyone for owning one, as said they are a great firm and go out of there way to support the product, and compared to many offer great performance.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 21-08-2018 at 14:10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast