+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Will a well-modded Technics 1210 see off a Michell Orbe?

I'm Nick.

Nice to hear you weighing-in on this subject Marco, as I know you are a big supporter of the modded Technics, and tbh I've followed a lot of your experience and advice on this forum about the upgrade path. So a little surprised to hear your even-handed view on the matter!! hehe just kidding, you make a very fair point. As I mentioned in the OP, I'm aware its comparing apples and oranges, so it's good to hear the relative merits of each laid out.
    I absolutely agree about the muscular presentation of a Techie, that's my experience too, and works great for a lot of the music I listen too, electronica, rock, reggae and dance... I'm not someone who listens to a lot of classical or jazz or live music recordings, so I think a lot of the soundstage and detail that you mention would be lost on me. My priority is more the rock-solid pitch and timing.
    But yes, absolutely agree, it comes down to individual taste and what someone's looking for from a TT and the way it presents music they listen to. Neither is better, but each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
    Not much more to say about it after that!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
    not saying you are wrong. But I'm curious as to why you think the plinth differences are responsible for the soundstage?
    Just what my experience in these matters suggests is likely the cause. If you've ever heard how an SP10 responds to the use of different plinths, then you'd get what I mean. The effect on the whole turntable system is fundamental, and in that respect the 1210 would be no different.

I'd like to try one in a plinth utilising more of a 'sandwich' construction, consisting of, say, wood, metal and slate, and leave rubber out of the equation, which I suspect would open the sound out more, without compromising on damping.

Tonearms and cartridges are of course hugely influential in the overall sound, but certainly won't address any limitations in the plinth.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Nick,

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Nice to hear you weighing-in on this subject Marco, as I know you are a big supporter of the modded Technics, and tbh I've followed a lot of your experience and advice on this forum about the upgrade path. So a little surprised to hear your even-handed view on the matter!!
    Haha... Well, just because my T/T of choice is currently a modded Technics, doesn't mean I can't identify its limitations (after all, no turntable is perfect) and appreciate the advantages offered by others!

I do have pretty vast experience in this area of audio, so I guess why not impart it for the possible benefit of other members?

I absolutely agree about the muscular presentation of a Techie, that's my experience too, and works great for a lot of the music I listen too, electronica, rock, reggae and dance...
    That's indeed where it excels, but it's none too shabby at the other stuff you mention too, particularly once judicious mods have been applied to the PSU regulation (a la Paul Hynes), which I found really moved my T/T into a different league.

But yes, absolutely agree, it comes down to individual taste and what someone's looking for from a TT and the way it presents music they listen to. Neither is better, but each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
    Yup, although I'm with you on the rock-solid pitch and timing - and extremely accurate speed stability. For me, before anything else, it's vital that the platter on a turntable constantly revolves at the correct speed, *under load*, which unfortunately is not always achieved by belt-drives!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nari.

Marco is spot on its not so easy to say one deck sees off another, each design has its strengths and weaknesses I personally never got on with the technics but I have good friends who love it and so they should it does so many things well. I personally would find it almost impossible to live with one Turntable again as I have identify so many strengths and weaknesses in each design. I am currently looking at yet another turntable will I get rid of one of the others NO WAY. There are so many parameters to consider just the fact certain arms and cartridges suit certain designs.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Nick.

Yes fair point Nari, it doesn't have to be one ring to rule them all, at some point I will probably own a belt-drive along with my DD just to be able to have the best of both worlds... not right now though as I don't have the space.
    When I said would the modded 1210 "see off" the Orbe I rather should have said "hold its own against" as my meaning was more along the lines of "can a humble Technics, with proper mods, hold its own against a posh £6k deck like the Orbe"?
    To which the answer id Yes in some ways and No in others. Fair enough - and has answered my question in the sense that there ARE some things a Techie will do better than a high-end belt deck, as discussed above.

I'm Nick.

That's indeed where it excels, but it's none too shabby at the other stuff you mention too, particularly once judicious mods have been applied to the PSU regulation (a la Paul Hynes), which I found really moved my T/T into a different league.
    Yes Marco, I also have the Paul Hynes SR5, which imho is up there with the platter and tonearm mods in terms of the biggest changes to the 1210 presentation.

I'm Frederick.

Hi,

I’m new here.. This is a cool discussion/thread. I’m more of an Idler drive guy, but I have owned a belt drive (TD160 Super), and DD - a high mass Denon. I grew up with a Technics deck - my uncle gifted it to my dad, and for years in the 80’s I made mix tapes with it. I kinda miss its ease of use and functionality TBH..

That’s great insight about the plinth contributing greatly to the end sonics, a point I agree with completely. I would go so far as to say that armboard material has a great influence too. I’m not a fan of MDF, at least for my old SME arm.. Id I had the money, maybe for an SP10 plinth, a CLD of high grade aluminum plates and Panzerholz would be something I would go for.

Regards

I'm Frederick.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Yes Marco, I also have the Paul Hynes SR5, which imho is up there with the platter and tonearm mods in terms of the biggest changes to the 1210 presentation.
    Hi Nick,

I apologize if I’m hijacking your thread, I’m just curious if Paul Hynes still makes the SR5? Can he still be contacted via his website? How much did it cost when you got yours? Thanks!

Regards

I'm Nick.

Hi Rick - I bought my SR5 directly from Paul Hynes back in 2012 and it was about £350.
    I've no idea if they are still available or not but please see this thread in the Trade Impressions section which gives all the latest info:
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Ltd-is-closing

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Mark,

Just what my experience in these matters suggests is likely the cause. If you've ever heard how an SP10 responds to the use of different plinths, then you'd get what I mean. The effect on the whole turntable system is fundamental, and in that respect the 1210 would be no different.

I'd like to try one in a plinth utilising more of a 'sandwich' construction, consisting of, say, wood, metal and slate, and leave rubber out of the equation, which I suspect would open the sound out more, without compromising on damping.

Tonearms and cartridges are of course hugely influential in the overall sound, but certainly won't address any limitations in the plinth.

Marco.
    cheers,

I think you've found your next project then, I'd be really interested to see how a plinth transplant worked with your other mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast