+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delrin Platter

I'm Mike.

Default Delrin Platter

i'm looking at maybe upgrading my 26cm acrylic platter to a Delrin Platter for my Planar 3, Delrin platters are quite expensive though and i've never heard a deck with one so i though i'd ask for some help and insight

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

Personally, I'd do a little research and see how stiffness, mass and internal damping chacteristics, etc. compare. Is there info out there to suggest Delrin is notably superior? I would actually be surprised if there's much in it.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Personally, I'd do a little research and see how stiffness, mass and internal damping chacteristics, etc. compare. Is there info out there to suggest Delrin is notably superior? I would actually be surprised if there's much in it.
    Delrin has both better rigidity and much higher mass than acrylic, it apparently also shares many of the same properties of vinyl itself, i've been looking at the Groovetracer offering but it's going to set me back about £300 my dilemma is would i get more out from spending that money on say a better cart

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

That is interesting. Delrin is not a material I've really looked into.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That is interesting. Delrin is not a material I've really looked into.
    Delrin is hard and used in high stress bearings instead of say Nylon66, amongst many other applications, it is rigid easily machined to high tolerances, and is certainly more dense than acrylic.

Google is your friend, but I have no idea of its sonic benefits.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andrew.

£300 for a platter is peanuts (i appreciate its a lot of money), try looking a Garrard 301 platter easily £800 on ebay. Mental mental chicken oriental if you ask me!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Deleted.

I've used a lot of Delrin (which is a trade name) and its very nice to machine, much easier to machine than acrylic which has a really annoying low melting temp. However, in terms of replacing an acrylic platter with one made of Delrin I wouldn't expect much sonic difference.
    Account Deleted

I'm Nari.

I have had on loan a systendek reference turntable with a delrin platter which does sound very big and powerful and quite warm, I have heard a townshend rock v with an acrylic platter and a delin platter in this instance the derlinf platter sounded more powerful and deeper the acrylic platter was more dynamic and very detailed I preffred the warmer sound of the derlin and the scale it produced.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Deleted.

Do you mean the Rock had Delrin and acrylic mats, because I’m not aware of any generations having actual platters made out of these materials?
    Account Deleted

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Do you mean the Rock had Delrin and acrylic mats, because I’m not aware of any generations having actual platters made out of these materials?
    A good friend of mine has a modified Rock V and had two platters machined One in Delrin and one in acrylic.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast