+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insuring your gear

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Mine's just a collection of old shyte anyway
    Not an effluent collection, then.

I'm Neil.

I have accidental damage cover, and a claim value of £5k per item.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Gary.

Just checked on my house insurance, difficult to find out how A/V, HI FI is included unless you wade through 72 pages of what's included in the main policy.

So I rang Barclays as my Contents Policy is with them.

Turns out that it is covered in the overall "Contents Sum Insured" which in laymans terms is the total cover you have paid for. So if your total sum assured is say £70000 this is where your single item hi fi is covered, along with furniture etc.etc.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Mike.

Strange, Gary, as when I had Barclays' buildings and contents cover for a few years some time back, there was an A-V section which had accidental cover (the rest of the contents were not covered for accidents). If you bust a cart., e.g. (as many do) you could claim on that section providing you had enough overall cover.

I'm Gary.

It appears there's no A/V section now it's referred to as home entertainment.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Strange, Gary, as when I had Barclays' buildings and contents cover for a few years some time back, there was an A-V section which had accidental cover (the rest of the contents were not covered for accidents). If you bust a cart., e.g. (as many do) you could claim on that section providing you had enough overall cover.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    It appears there's no A/V section now it's referred to as home entertainment.

Gary
    Same thing but different terminology as I'm sure you can see.

I'm Gary.

Same thing but different terminology as I'm sure you can see.
    Yep, I have clear and recorded confirmation that single hi fi units are covered to the total value of the sum assured, including accidental damage.

Gary

I'm Anto.

Not an effluent collection, then.
    I expect the whole lot owes me about 600 quid , so to be serious , I probably would recover that -should the worst happen
    Being serious for a moment , I can imagine the need to specify values amongst you serious buyers of gear , thus pushing the cost of the insurance up a bit , but better to be covered than not !!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Mike.

If you buy 2nd hand at a nice price seems you have to value everything 'new for old'.
    Plus you have lots of 2nd hand kit you should sell !

Then your total value goes up to the level where you need a pukka (expensive to install and maintain) burglar alarm.
    Remedy : Sell all the kit you will never use again - heartbreaking !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post

Then your total value goes up to the level where you need a pukka (expensive to install and maintain) burglar alarm.
    I've never been refused cover because I don't have an alarm; actually, I wouldn't have one and I'm pretty sure it's not mandatory with the vast majority of underwriters. Ghastly things !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast