+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insuring your gear

I'm Steve.

Default Insuring your gear

I just learned yesterday that my contents insurance only pays out a maximum of £1000 per item, and now this thought is nagging me. I was wondering how other members deal with this, if at all.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mick.

With my home and contents insurance I specify additional items worth over £1000.

I'm Edward.

Insurance companies will allow you to add high value items. I have mine marked as 'Hifi Items' with a total value. Important to keep a record (with pics) of these hifi items should you ever need to claim.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

I spoke to Halifax many years ago and tried to explain the concept of separates but they couldn't comprehend the idea of a HiFi system not being a single item. None of my individual items would be over the limit (except speakers now, maybe I need to revisit that) and I'd like to see how a loss assessor could justify them being a single item given they can be stolen individually (as happened to my Nad amp years ago).

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Change your insurance company. I used to have mine listed separate. Dont need to now ho as its cheaper gear now. Tt,arm and cart would still be under a grand.
    Records and cds is more of an issue
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I just learned yesterday that my contents insurance only pays out a maximum of £1000 per item, and now this thought is nagging me. I was wondering how other members deal with this, if at all.
    any chance you could advise which company that is ? hope its not the one i am with who tell me every year that i don`t need to list hi fi as its not classed as valuables , whereas jewellery is
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Mike.

As far as I'm aware, the vast majority of contents covers contain an 'audio-visual' section which is covered for accidental damage, regardless of the cover for the rest of your contents. The rule which applies to all in a claim would be the proportion of the claim item to the rest of the contents cover.

As for many years I had audio systems in the higher tens of thousands, I've chosen bespoke through Lloyds and Barclays (many years ago), then a Saga cover which went to 125K eventually, then, and currently, John Lewis Premier, which is UNLIMITED on both buildings and contents. It's also more affordable than previous covers. Hiscox (bespoke) has a good rep. and a number of audiophiles use them, but they are pricy.

For me, the beauty of John Lewis, apart from the very reasonable premium, is that I don't need to inform them of any changes to kit. Not sure of single item max. but it's more than a grand. Hope this 45+ year experience helps.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Hiscox (bespoke) has a good rep. and a number of audiophiles use them, but they are pricy.
    Hiscox are well-regarded by collectors too, ie records.

Pete

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Hiscox are well-regarded by collectors too, ie records.

Pete
    Ah, yes; an important part of the equation, and my vinyl and CD collections are fully covered under the limitless John Lewis policy.

I'm Anto.

Mines just a collection of old shyte anyway
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast