+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DAC Advice

I'm Chris.

Default DAC Advice

I would like some advice from members regarding digital to analogue converters please.
    I am currently using a Naim Unitiqute to stream files from Tidal. At present the Unitiqute is being used as it was intended, as a one box does all music system. Previously, I used it as a streamer with the internal amp disabled. I am changing my amps at present and when this is done the Unitiqute will be used soley as a streamer. I have brought my Dads old Arcam Delta 70.3 CD player out of storage and connected it to the Unitiqute and it doesn't sound too shabby.
    My question is three fold- firstly what external DAC would improve the Unitiqute enough to be worth doing?
    Do external DACs usually allow more than one source to be connected at once (I fancy trying the Arcam through a decent DAC)?
    What would you suggest to be the best way to connect the DAC to the respective sources?
    I appreciate that I am increasingly moving further away from using the Unitiqutes full capability but in the short term I will use it as such until I decide to replace it in the main system and create a bedroom system based on the Unitiqute. It is just too versatile to replace.
    Any advice on the above would be gratefully received
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Wojtek.

Not sure if this is the best option, the the chord Hugo is now quite affordable second hand, really offers something different in terms of sound, and is portable / headphone amp to boot. Downside is it can sound a bit thin into some amps, the tt version addresses that but is a lot dearer.

It’s a really articulate sound with shimmering highs that maybe stretch a bit too far, but for orchestra etc is a lot more anologue sounding. A bit less PRaT. Has a few different inputs.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by wojtek View Post
    Not sure if this is the best option, the the chord Hugo is now quite affordable second hand, really offers something different in terms of sound, and is portable / headphone amp to boot. Downside is it can sound a bit thin into some amps, the tt version addresses that but is a lot dearer.

It’s a really articulate sound with shimmering highs that maybe stretch a bit too far, but for orchestra etc is a lot more anologue sounding. A bit less PRaT. Has a few different inputs.
    always wanted to hear one. i have noticed an awful lot go on market while fairly new; dont know why tho but its put me off
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

I had considered the Chord Hugo or the new Qutest and I would like to listen to one in my system. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing one yet. I suppose that the value would be in a second hand Hugo since the Qutest is still very current.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Ivo.

Hello Chris,
    A Naim DAC V1 could be an option. It can be a preamplifier too if needed. Supports DSD files over USB. If your CD has a digital out you can use the CD player as a transport only and benefit of the DAC V1's better DAC eventually. In total DAC V1 has 5 digital inputs but lacks any analogue one (quite naturally).
    BR,
    Ivo
    Pioneer:
    PLC-590, RT-909, 707, CT-F1250, 900, 750, 700, T-C3, P-D1, TX-7800,
    U-24, SR-303, SG-9800, SA-7800, SX-750, DT-400, HPM-100
    Nakamichi: DRAGON, BX300e, BX125, BX 1, CD4

I'm Clive.

The Qutest is the one. It has the same dac internals as the Hugo 2 but without headphone output and batteries. It has 4 inputs 2 x BNC (you can use RCA plugs with BNC adapters), 1 USB B and 1 TOSLINK.
    I’ve had one now for nearly 3 months and know I made a wise decision.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    My question is three fold- firstly what external DAC would improve the Unitiqute enough to be worth doing?
    Do external DACs usually allow more than one source to be connected at once (I fancy trying the Arcam through a decent DAC)?
    What would you suggest to be the best way to connect the DAC to the respective sources?
    I know this is a forum and it breaks the unwritten rules to actually answer questions posed by the OP, but I thought I'd live dangerously! Answers to above:

1) Before being able to answer that, we'd need to know how much you want to spend and what amp you'd be using? Some of the suggestions above, whilst good DACs (but over rated, IMO&E) are over £1000, which may be more than you want to spend? Diminishing returns is perhaps most obvious in DACs and digital sources. There are differences and these can be worthwhile. Be careful though that the differences are actually improvements to you.

2) Most DACs allow for multiple sources to be connected. Some even have remote selection of same. Some even have analogue inputs and inbuilt pre-amps.

3) It depends on the source, but just use whatever is the appropriate cable. i.e. coaxial digital cable, optical cable or USB cable. Some DACs do have Bluetooth functionality, so no cable required, but usually not the best sound quality using a BT connection.

I would choose your amplifier first, using your UnitiQute as at present. Match amp to 'speakers, then move on to source.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

+ Reply to Thread