+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTD: Rothwell attenuators

I'm Andrew.

Default WTD: Rothwell attenuators

Thought I’d ask if anyone has a pair of the above ( rca ) going cheap.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    Thought I’d ask if anyone has a pair of the above ( rca ) going cheap.

Cheers

Sorted now

I'm Mike.

Andy, as I'm going through a confusing in-line attenuator process at the mo', I'd be interested in which -dB value you needed and between what and what.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Andy, as I'm going through a confusing in-line attenuator process at the mo', I'd be interested in which -dB value you needed and between what and what.
    Hi Mike, well I’m now using my dac ( Xiang sheng)as Geoff suggested, it has a volume control and can be used as a pre .
    I have some 12Db attenuators ( made in USA )that I can lend to try if you like.

I'm Justin.

I found the SQ of the Xiang Sheng is quite severely compromised with the jumper in preamp mode. I would definitely not use it in that mode.

Also, I have some 20DB Rothwell attenuators that are brand new apart from 1 hours usage.

That is huge attenuation though. If anybody wants them let me know via PM.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I found the SQ of the Xiang Sheng is quite severely compromised with the jumper in preamp mode. I would definitely not use it in that mode.

Also, I have some 20DB Rothwell attenuators that are brand new apart from 1 hours usage.

That is huge attenuation though. If anybody wants them let me know via PM.
    Pm sent

I'm Mike.

Thanks, Andy. I asked my manufacturer (well, a chap who works there) and also got 3 lots of informed info. from technical chaps on another forum, all pointing to my need for between -20 dB and -25 dB to reduce my CDP's 3 V output to better match the meters of my pre. Yesterday, I borrowed 2 sets of RCA in-line attenuators; -14 dB and -10 dB from a friend. The -14 dB was too much and I could even get under the -10 dB to suit (say, -6 or-7 dB).

I really don't know why it is/was so difficult to assess my needs when the pre's input sensitivity was known (250 mV for full output), but four people got it 'orribly wrong, it appears. If I'd simply bought in on advice I'd've been disappointed, out of pocket and still none the wiser !

I was also concerned that s.q, might be affected, as there are three schools of thought on this; the 'can't possibly', the ' couldn't detect a difference' and lastly, the ' it flattened the s.q.'. I guess that the less attenuation you have, the less chance of negatively affecting s.q. (a non-technical hunch on my part). Too early to come to any conclusions there, though.

I'm Roger.

In case anyone is still looking for attentuators, I have a pair of Rothwell in-line -10 dB's - virtually unused.

+ Reply to Thread