+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attenuators yes or no ?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Tuners can often sound very loud, but it isn't because the output voltage is any higher than, say, a CD player - it's because the broadcasters compress the signal so much in order to keep the average signal up near maximum all the time. The commercial stations are all trying to make their station louder than the competition so it can be heard in a car above road/traffic noise. It increases the number of listeners and therefore advertisers.
    Output voltages do differ, though. My NAT 01's output is very low, my old 80's Technics phase lock loop thingy slightly (but only slightly) higher but the valved Leak Troughline I'm currently borrowing is even higher; by quite a margin, according to the meters on my pre. All on R3, which, with R4, is the only station to my mind which is relatively unsullied by compression nasties. Having said that, Classic FM has improved in this respect over the last few years, but it ain't R3 !

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    I should say that the luxman does have variable output rca’s on the back which I don’t use.
    I can understand why, as fixed outputs nearly always improve on variable. However, in your case it might be worth trying those for a while rather than trying to attenuate the fixed.

I'm joe.

I've always found that attenuators have a 'deadening' or 'flattening' effect on the sound, so I never use them.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I've always found that attenuators have a 'deadening' or 'flattening' effect on the sound, so I never use them.
    I agree. It's not a severe effect, but it is there.

I'm Mike.

You're not the only people to believe this,.....
    I'm as yet unbiased, but am currently using RCA in-line attenuators on my CDP input for the first time. Maybe the theory can be inviolable on a technical level and even a practical one, but you are adding moveable connections, whereas in circuitry they'd be soldered in. If there is sonic deterioration, it might be down to this aspect rather than the attenuation itself. Sounded good when I tried -10 dB for a few CDs, but the jury's still out as it's not an A-B testing difference anyway.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

You're not the only people to believe this, but attenuators are, in principle at least, only voltage dividers. Voltage dividers are used throughout audio amplifiers and throughout the rest of the electronics world. If voltage dividers can't be relied on to do what they should, the foundation on which the whole of electronics is built is wrong. How does any amplifier work if voltage dividers don't work? I can guarantee that 99% of forum members have amplifiers that rely on voltage dividers to work.
    +1

Unless one is using an amplifier whereby the volume control varies the amount of feedback, in the vast majority of amplifiers, the volume control is a passive attenuator.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

You're not the only people to believe this, but attenuators are, in principle at least, only voltage dividers. Voltage dividers are used throughout audio amplifiers and throughout the rest of the electronics world. If voltage dividers can't be relied on to do what they should, the foundation on which the whole of electronics is built is wrong. How does any amplifier work if voltage dividers don't work? I can guarantee that 99% of forum members have amplifiers that rely on voltage dividers to work.
    i agree, but ive also heard ill effects from using external attenuators in line. No idea why
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Default Attenuators yes or no ?

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i agree, but ive also heard ill effects from using external attenuators in line. No idea why
    Must be to do with impedance and resistance? For me these things seem to suck the life out my system (in the signal path), and so I prefer to keep impedance as low as possible.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

The cheap 12Db ones I have ( Harrison Labs, maybe) make very little difference, I have some Rothwell 20db coming soon so I’ll give them a go and see what happens.
    I’ve since tried the tuner through my dac and that has made no difference to the volume levels.
    I can live with the low level ( high output) but wonder if I could be getting more from the amp even at slightly higher levels .
    Incidentally the vu meters show 0.3-0.5 watts at this listening level .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Must be to do with impedance and resistance? For me these things seem to suck the life out my system (in the signal path), and so I prefer to keep impedance as low as possible.
    As I mentioned in my post above, the extra connections (by increasing impedance) may be the culprit rather than the attenuation itself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast