+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tannoy Windsors

I'm Phil.

a chap has been trying to sell his revolver cygnus speakers recently on ebay and has one bid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192902390559?ul_noapp=true

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...volver-cygnis/

i have a pair of r16 which are super and i would think long and hard before parting with the cygnis , especially if you love them . out of the frying pan into the .... comes to mind

glad to see you kept them
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Graham.

Great work, they look lovely ��

I'm Paul.

Default Windsor

I have two friends with Windsors and another with Buckinghams..... They are superb in scale and dynamic plus in Japan they are revered and I wonder why they think that.....
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Great work, they look lovely ��
    I'm sure they sound wonderful, but they are unoriginal. The dual concentric upper driver has been fitted with what looks like SRM10B or HPD 295 8 cones and the acoustic lens is missing. As I mentioned earlier, I suspected original parts were unobtainable. No doubt an 'expert' has found something else that can be persuaded to fit.

The original cones had thin flat foam surrounds, not thicker roll surrounds and the speaker looked like this.

Last edited by walpurgis; 03-07-2019 at 14:18.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm sure they sound wonderful, but they are unoriginal. The dual concentric upper driver has been fitted with what looks like SRM10B or HPD 295 8 cones and the acoustic lens is missing. As I mentioned earlier, I suspected original parts were unobtainable. No doubt an 'expert' has found something else that can be persuaded to fit.

The original cones had thin flat foam surrounds, not thicker roll surrounds and the speaker looked like this.

Ah ha, you may well be correct about the flat surrounds (although I no longer have these speakers). However, looking on the inter-web, I have only ever seen this type of flat surround on one pair of Windsors (ever) “Perhaps a very early model”, all the others have the roll type surrounds.

Still, I will be convinced about what you say, as your deemed as being a bit of a Tannoy aficionado.

Just to end, the Acoustic lenses weren’t missing, I took them off as they didn’t suit my room Acoustics and forgot to put them back on before talking the photos.

The new owner has them in his possession and will use them if he so chooses.

Even so, they sounded just fine and would recommend them against any vintage ‘T’ currently still out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I looked at a few new sets of these when Tannoy introduced them and they all had the flat 'Tannoplas' foam surround. This was a notoriously short lived material and could fall apart in as little as five years depending on conditions. I doubt any are still on their orginals.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 03-07-2019 at 15:54.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12