+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interconnect Cable Advice for a DAC

I'm John.

Default Interconnect Cable Advice for a DAC

I have took the plunge and took a punt on a DAC that has valves as part of the circuitry.
    The device is on route to the UK at present.
    I am very very new to such a method of music replay, so want to give this device a chance that does not do it a dis-service.
    Any thoughts shared on how to support it as a replay device especially if a particular type of interconnect cable will be beneficial and any other supporting devices will be much appreciated.

I'm Brian.

Which DAC is it John ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Which DAC is it John ?
    It is a model produced by the designer of the VAS Phonostage.
    It is a upgraded/refurbished version of a previous model that both he and another designer worked on.
    I know it is a TDA1541A, which has valve rectification and Valve Output stage. It has a reference to SPD DIF, I am awaiting further info ???.

I'm Brian.

I'm afraid the interconnects can be a ' suck it and see' affair . I'm a fan of copper interconnects for digital systems , however , when you add valves into the equation things can change .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Neil.

First off, cables make a tiny difference. It is there, but nowhere near as significant as a component change.

Secondly I also use a TDA1541A DAC, I use a pair of LFD Grainless interconnects, but you can try some ‘PC-OCC’ cables at much lower price than these. Also consider some Van Damme LC-OFC as a reference cable at a very good price.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    First off, cables make a tiny difference. It is there, but nowhere near as significant as a component change.
    Hmm. I've known of dodgy cables that can really badly affect the sound.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

John if you are looking for a digital cable to go between transport and dac I can highly recommend the Black Cat Silverstar 75 one being advertised in the Private Exhibitions section....

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?59703-FS-Black-Cat-Silverstar-75-digital-interconnect-1-27m-long

It's an expensive cable but it's very good indeed
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm John.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.
    As I have absolutely no Savvy when it comes to the present use of Digital
    Devices, I have a Cambridge Azur 540P CDP and a batch of charity shop CD's. I recently had a loan of a Valve Modded Sony CDP.
    It really is a case of I will very soon have a DAC to be put into use.
    In my mind, I see it as a 'Digital Phonostage', a device that can receive a input signal and then output the signal to further amplification devices.
    I know I can use a Laptop or CDP as a source to attach it to.
    For me cables are required, so my thoughts were on which is the best place to consider cabling from source to DAC, i.e USB, Optical or other design, or from DAC to Amplification Device, i.e RCA Phono, I'm not sure of any other options.
    Is there any other devices I should consider to bee used, to give the DAC the best chance of delivering a performance that would enhance it to perform at its best.
    The reason behind this is I am trying to assess if a DAC as a replay device is a equal match to a CDP.

I'm Brian.

John , if I were you I would get myself some basic cables and then try upmarket ones when you have had the DAC for a while . It's unlikely that your CD player will have a USB output , so you will need a digital coax cable from it to your DAC . Your laptop will have a USB output so you can use a USB cable from laptop to DAC . Your laptop may also have digital coax and optical outputs which you can try at a later date . You will then need a set of interconnects from your DAC to your amp .
    Please also note that power supplies ( linear ) and / or mains cables can have a marked effect on SQ of the DAC .
    As I said , I would get things started with basic cables then try more expensive ones once you have a handle on the SQ of the DAC .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hmm. I've known of dodgy cables that can really badly affect the sound.
    Yes, me too.

When they are broken or even just have flimsy contacts this can make a huge difference. Also a lot of foo out there designed to sound different e.g. by introducing excessive capacitance.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 18-08-2018 at 12:08.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast