+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Delivery from South to North London

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    One of the few speakers of the time that I'd rank as up there with the contemporary big Tannoys. The Celestion Ditton 66 was a great speaker of that era, but the TLS80 would run circles around it (only in my opinion of course ).
    That's great to know as I went for them after a visit to Adam's where I was mightily impressed with his 12" MGs in lovely cabinets. The amount of listening I get to do can't justify that sort of expense (and it remains to be seen if it can justify that much space taken up in the front room )

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

It's quite possible that the caps in the crossovers are original and being around forty years old, may well benefit from replacing. Well worth doing anyway on fine speakers like these. Also, it's worth checking that the HF2000 supertweeters are actually working. And, the small metal 'grille' over the dome can go missing. They are obtainable.

I'm Lawrence.

One grille has detached but apparently he has it. Yes I learned my lesson about the coles not working when I bought my first pair of DM2s. A bit of Bach choral music with boy trebles tends to be the best check I've found! I hope the crossovers aren't too inaccessible on these that would be a nightmare.

I'm Edward.

Assuming IMF did the crossover boards on the TLS80 in a similar way to their professional range which they are derived from the following vid may be useful. Looks reasonably easy.

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Assuming IMF did the crossover boards on the TLS80 in a similar way to their professional range which they are derived from the following vid may be useful. Looks reasonably easy.

Hammer house of horror would be proud of those loooong shadows!
    Real shame this chap has no electric lighting on his video shoot.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

Thanks Edward but probably not as these ones have a removable metal plate under the TL ports which the TLS range don't have. The problem with recapping TLs is that they have lots of subdividing panels within so that removing the baffle or bigger driver doesn't give you full access to the rear. Being more complex crossovers, they are unlikely to be on the back of the speaker connectors either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123