+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stereo Coffee LDR Passive Pre

I'm Will.

Thought I'd better say something here.

It looks like this unit is battery powered but for some reason the live pin of an IEC mains inlet is being used as a tie point in an otherwise floating line level circuit. The unit also looks like it would reasonably be plugged into the mains if you didn't know it was battery powered. Especially with the weight of the lead acid battery, it would feel as if it had a mains transformer.

Not to shame anyone's DIY skills but this is probably the worst possible thing someone could have done in terms of electronics wiring, especially for something that isn't even mains powered. The exposed fuse carrier is rather moot as the entire unit will be live should someone plug the thing in.

The circuit, and for all intents and purposes we can assume the case, will instantly go live if it is plugged in, potentially causing other plugged in equipment to go live or blow up too, especially if it's double insulated with a metal external case or otherwise floating such as other battery powered equipment.
    Last edited by Radford Revival; 19-08-2018 at 21:49.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Edward.

Hi Will

Thanks for this and your email earlier. As mentioned I certainly will not be plugging this into the National Grid. Once I get the unit I will likely move all the IEC gubbins into the box and seal the opening so that no user will be tempted to plug the mains into it.

best
    Edward

edit: I'll probably simply replace the IEC socket with a standard DC 2.1mm female connector and a 2.1mm male connector on the charger side and mark things up accordingly.
    Last edited by Edward; 19-08-2018 at 22:22.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Radford Revival View Post
    Thought I'd better say something here.
    Well spotted Will, to be honest I didn't look too closely at the innards, just clocked the exposed fuse.

I'm Mark.

Jeez!! As I know absolutely nothing about electronics, I had NO idea whatsoever that I’d bought something that was this dodgy and never had any intention of ‘pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes’. I have obviously charged this unit unconnected from my system - sounds like fortuitously! Although I’ve agreed a sale, more than happy to withdraw it.

Thanks to all those who spotted the shortcomings of this unit - much appreciated! Marko.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty2 View Post
    Jeez!! As I know absolutely nothing about electronics, I had NO idea whatsoever that I’d bought something that was this dodgy and never had any intention of ‘pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes’. I have obviously charged this unit unconnected from my system - sounds like fortuitously! Although I’ve agreed a sale, more than happy to withdraw it.

Thanks to all those who spotted the shortcomings of this unit - much appreciated! Marko.
    No probs Mark. As mentioned in my PM still happy to take the unit. I never planned on connecting the unit to the National Grid. I will replace the connectors with suitable connectors for 12v.

Edward
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

never looked at the pictures tbh, just saw the pic of the iec. as said, its a very silly thing to have done, tempting someone who didnt know, to plug it in.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

At least it's been brought to attention now
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Edward.

Had a play with this preamp today - most impressive.

As a follow on I created a new post here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12