+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damping for Cheviots

I'm Dee.

Default Damping for Cheviots

Im thinking of adding some Silent Coat damping material to my Cheviots.....has anybody actually used this material and if so what thickness is best and how much material is needed for both speakers.. thanks Dee
    System... THORENS TD160 Super in Purpose built plinth.

SME 3009 S2 improved ,Van Den Hul hybrid interconnect and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami with Vdh silver wire.

ARKLESS 640P Phono amp..Currently using Denon Dl103
    But have Denon dl110 HoMc cartridge....Shure v15 111. as reserves

YAMAHA Cr2020 receiver overhauled and upgraded by Select 45rpm

Denon dvd 3910(transport) Monarchy Audio M22C Dac..
    Monarchy Audio Dip Classic

Tannoy Cheviot speakers ( cones and surround replaced by Lockwood)

TEAC X1000R r2r

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dee View Post
    Im thinking of adding some Silent Coat damping material to my Cheviots
    Why. Are you experiencing a problem?

My Cheviots are pretty rigid and well damped. Adding more lagging will reduce cabinet volume and may overdamp them.

I'm Dee.

Hi Geoff,I think my speakers are a bit “boomy” in the bass department.They are revealing and not shrill or fatiguing but I feel there could be more weight to the bass.Following advice posted by amongst others,Paul...RFC...I’ve shortened the port tube which brought immediate improvements, and was hoping removing the original foam and replacing it with Silent Coat
    would help further.I also intend to fit an internal brace.
    If memory serves me right ,are your speakers non Hpd and therefore a different creature so to speak...

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dee View Post
    was hoping removing the original foam and replacing it with Silent Coat

Silent coat will add damping to the cabinet structure, but not the contained air volume, that's what the foam does.

Yes, mine are later versions and do have an internal bracing shelf, but thats the main difference between cabinets. This may be a good mod for yours.

An easier mod that may help with bass boom, might be to put a decent depth of teased long fibre wool in the bottom of the cabinet, leaving a gap around the back of the port tube. Wool is an excellent damping material and not desperately expensive and it can of course be easily removed if need be.

I'm Bruno.

I had the same feeling about the "boomyness" of my Chatsworth cabs, which are certainly more flimsy than the Cheviot.
    A quick trick is to stack a heavy crate of LPs on top of it. It really helped deadening the thing.
    Additionally you may try to tune the drivers by playing with the four screws at the front, finger tight works best.

+ Reply to Thread