+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Headshell wire terminals

I'm Geoff.

A common problem is that the metal in cartridge tags fatigues with use, losing the springyness that makes them grip and they start falling off.

I have seen minor variations in cartridge terminal pin sizes, but nothing you couldn't get a lead tag onto with a bit of persuading.

I'm Mike.

With bare metal tags like those Anto I cover them in either 2 or 3mm silicone tubing, it does 3 things:

1. Reduces electrical interference between each contact
    2. Stops you touching 2 contacts at the same time
    3. It looks better

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    So, the Aiwa cartridge terminals are larger diameter than normal and the headshell terminals are smaller diameter than normal ?

I have fitted tens of thousands of cartridges into various headshells and arms over my lifetime and never encountered this. Very strange.

I was going to dig out some headshell wires and send them to you but you appear to have done the job and the standard ones I have probably wouldn't fit anyway.
    Thanks Dave.
    Yes ,your first sentence is correct ! Why didnt I just say that!!
    I just thought it was a common enough variation !! I purchased the Aiwa headshell second hand recently off E Bay !
    (the AP2200 I have been doing up ,came with a new standard type common headshell and what I take to be an Aiwa cart ,all quite new looking , although I have since found the cantilever was twisted to the left ,which probably account for its poor performance . I have since tweaked it round , and it does sound ok now ,but probably wont use it myself ,but put it on a HMV deck I want to sell))
    I never even thought there could be a problem ,but when I took the Aiwa cart off the shell to fit the Shure , I realised straight away the contacts were too large to fit any of my other carts (which have all the same sized terminals ) And the other end too small to accept a set I already have!!
    Anyway , a nice gesture from you !! Thanks .
    I can afford to buy new ones , but some of the asking prices on E Bay ,are barmy Chancers !!
    Anyway , nice to make use of what you have about you !!

Oh ,and I shall get around to tidying the wires up Mike
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Anto.

Just to try and show the difference in pin size
    The Aiwa cart in at the bottom , and the top one is an old AT cart that has standard connector pins !
    They both are equally side by side and I think its fair to say the bottom ones are quite a bit bigger than the top!
    Just in case most people think I am mad

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
    I have the same problem, and you can't crimp them down. Utterly frustrating.
    Sorry Hal ,meant to reply earlier . Yes ,you know what I meant didnt you
    The larger connectors just slop about ,and dont even grip in any way!!
    You cant squash the connectors up ,with out you make one edge dive under the other . But that means the connector is not really sitting nicely ,even should you manage to make a good job of that!
    I found by putting the connector in the mini vice with the solder tab in the jaws and the connector resting on the jaw , and then slit gently along the knick in it ! The dremmel needs to be on a low setting , goggles on please, and gently let it bite through the line . Not a job for the purist , but I was more than happy with the result once I gently eased them together afterwards with the vice jaws (more controlled pressure)

I'm Mike.

You would assume wrongly as it turns out that there would be a standard for things like this as there is with other hifi connections

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Dave.

Not sure if there any standards but in my time of fitting, literally, tens of thousands of cartridges into numerous arms, I have only encountered two cartridges with smaller terminals than the norm and that was the old Supex 900, 901 and the original Koetsu which was based on the Supex.

I'm Anto.

Ahh right . I am not suprised there is no standard size , but probably more suprised that the headshell had smaller ones at the quick release side opposite the cart , as well!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123