+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headshell wire terminals

I'm Anto.

Default Headshell wire terminals

I recently found that headshell terminal connectors , are not all one size!!
    I purchased an Aiwa headshell ,(which I was going to fit my AT95E /Shibata stylus onto, and into my Aiwa TT ) only to find that both ends were not a standard 1ml fit!!
    The headshell side were smaller than the regular size I was used to,and the cart side bigger !!
    I have a replacement set ,and I thought , ok ,just solder the different ends to suit. Not as simple as that as the replacement set are covered with heatshrink ,and I dont want to mess them up either really!
    Could I find 4 standard sized connectors ,anywhere ?? Does this make any sense , or do I need a padded room ?

Oh ,I also read elesewhere , that some folk crimp the terminal up a bit to suit , but all thats going to do it bugger them up IMO
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I feel your pain as there appears to be little standardisation of the diameter of either cartridge pins, or of those of the headshell.

Most cartridge/headshell leads are asymmetric, with larger diameter tags for the cartridge pins and smaller diameter tags for the headshell. Even so, you may find you have to either open up the tag (by inserting a tapered bradawl) or reduce the diameter (by carefully closing the tag using snipe-nose pliers). In either case you need not automatically make a 'dog's dinner' of it, and disfigure the heatshrink sleeving if you are careful.
    Barry

I'm Mick.

I have also made this mistake in the past.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Anto.

Thanks guys.
    The original ones on the Aiwa headshell are too big on the cart end ,as I have said . They also have no gap between the O of the connector , which means you cannot crimp them up ,without you make one side undershoot the other , (ok if you needed to open them up however )and that cant be good? Does that make sense??
    I have looked under my magnifying lamp ,and if you could cut away some metal from the middle ,then maybe they would crimp up ,but the cutting would be very difficult ,and old hamfist here , is very likely to bugger them !!!
    So ,I need 4 universal sized connectors ( most seem to be 1 ml , I think) and I will solder them on
    Seen the price of them ,I think I might get the Dremmel out and try cutting some metal out
    Last edited by Oddball; 15-08-2018 at 09:24.

I'm Dave.

Don't solder them onto the cartridge.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Don't solder them onto the cartridge.
    Thanks Dave . I never explain things well . I meant remove the bigger ones and solder on some smaller !!
    But £12 for 16 connctors that I dont know will fit , so Dremmel time

If there is no split-line on the cartridge tags, how are you expected to fit them onto the cartridge pins and have them make a snug and secure connection?
    Barry

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If there is no split-line on the cartridge tags, how are you expected to fit them onto the cartridge pins and have them make a snug and secure connection?
    There is a split line barry , but hardly any clearance between them , or in other words , not enough space to crimp them up!!
    Hence my idea of putting the circular grinding wheel on my Dremmel and opening them up slightly!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    There is a split line barry , but hardly any clearance between them , or in other words , not enough space to crimp them up!!
    Hence my idea of putting the circular grinding wheel on my Dremmel and opening them up slightly!
    Do you have one that is fine enough? Good luck!
    Barry

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Do you have one that is fine enough? Good luck!
    Oh yes ,I think so . The kit has these little mini cutting discs you can screw onto a tiny shaft !
    If I can hold the terminal in my mini vice ,and they will stand a bit of grinding , the worlds my oyster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast