+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello....

I'm Frederick.

Default Hello....

Hello,

New on this forum.. I plan on posting more on The Techiepedia as I have plans on aqcuiring a used SL-1200, and to head in that direction in returning to vinyl and audio in general.. I’ve been out of audio for some years due to chronic illness and everything that it entails, but I may have the chance to come back before the year ends at the latest. I may purchase a new pair of speakers too. Not sure yet on the brand.

For reference I have a Thorens TD-124/early SME 3009II with a custom plinth that I have used since the early 2000’s. It needs an overhaul and TLC. It’s in storage.. I plan to sell it locally, hopefully sooner than later. I am not capable of doing the overhaul myself anymore.. My system is tube-centric, and had DIY speakers. Before that I had Dynaudio bookshelf monitors in the mid 90’s when I was a newbie, I wasn’t completely happy with ‘em since I liked their floorstanders better (no lower treble glare and better bass tonality) but couldn’t afford ‘em..

And oh, I listen to almost everything. That’s all for now. Thanks in advance for the welcome..

Regards...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Fred.

I'm sure all your Thorens 124 needs is a clean up, the platter bearing oil replacing and general re-lubrication and, perhaps, a new belt. These are readily obtainable and the task can be easily undertaken by a complete novice. The chassis support 'mushrooms' may also need replacing; again these are also readily obtainable. I would do it for you if you lived closer - but the Philippines is a little too far for me.

Anyway you have come to the right place to refurbish and fettle your intended Technics 1200.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Frederick.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the warm greets..

I’m afraid more TLC is needed for the Thorens. It’s been in storage for years. Plus it’s main bearing has been damaged (there is a little play.) Something very heavy dropped on the main platter while moving stuff around in storage some time ago... Anyway when I was still actively using it, I installed a Bronze endcap bearing ~12 years ago myself. And re-relubed everything. Got a new idler wheel for it too at the same time. Years before that, I got new motor grommets and chassis mushrooms, and just those already made a big dfference in lowering the noise floor.. Etc.. All of that when I was still able to carry that heavy motor unit and place it on some sort of work jig..

It sounded great, but getting there by making sure everything works as it should (even the top platter clutch brake) after all the adjustments, while still lowering the noise floor is not as straightforward as it seems.. So these days, it’s not something I look forward to for myself, given I’m physically not in shape for it as before.

Regards,
    Frederick

I'm Geoff.

Hi Frederick. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure our members can give opinions on any equipment you are thinking of getting.

Feel free to join in the chat, there's plenty going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Grant.

Welcome Fredrick
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread