+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B&W DM70 Modification

I'm Martin.

Default B&W DM70 Modification

Hi All, I have a pair of restored DM70 (Continentals) with original EMI bass drivers which I have re-foamed. These mount onto a screw mount removable flat baffle to allows for the bow front.

I recently acquired a pair of Tannoy 15" 'Reds' bass drivers. I am tempted to experiment to see what the Tannoys would sound like in the DM70's.

Has anyone got any experience of updating the EMI bass drivers?

Many thanks, Martin
    Last edited by Dylanthecat; 13-08-2018 at 09:03.

I'm Norman.

According to Reiner E. Römer from Reromanus you cannot replace the woofer because you feel like it.

It seems that you need to adjust the filter accordingly.

I have discussed this with him regarding my DM70 and the use of the Leak 2060 Sandwich woofer (which is regarded as the recommended upgrade).
    Last edited by i2Paq; 13-08-2018 at 13:01. Reason: Typo
    Linn Majik DSM/2, Cambridge CD CXC, IOM classic, Tannoy "Langley"

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanthecat View Post
    I recently acquired a pair of Tannoy 15" 'Reds' bass drivers. I am tempted to experiment to see what the Tannoys would sound like in the DM70's.
    If you are talking about the original 15" Reds with the pleated paper cone surrounds, the DM70 cabinet volume would be too small for them. The Reds need cabinets something like the size of a York enclosure to give their best.

It would be a waste of fine Tannoy drivers to attempt this in any case.

I'm Alex.

I know nothing much about DM70's, but I think I read somewhere that the Leak sandwich bass unit is sometimes used as a replacement.

I did visit the Stevenson Blake factory in the early 70's and saw the DM70 cabinets being made there.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Hi All. Thank you for your thoughtful advise. It has been noted. Many thanks Martin

I'm Cosmo.

The woofer from the Leak 600 is a drop in replacement apart from the mounting bolts do not line up so you need to rotate the driver slightly and use new screws. Just make sure they are the 8 ohm Leak drivers not the older 15 ohm versions.

I have done this on both my Model 70's & Continentals.

I'm Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by omsoc View Post
    The woofer from the Leak 600 is a drop in replacement apart from the mounting bolts do not line up so you need to rotate the driver slightly and use new screws. Just make sure they are the 8 ohm Leak drivers not the older 15 ohm versions.

I have done this on both my Model 70's & Continentals.
    Thanks for this!
    Linn Majik DSM/2, Cambridge CD CXC, IOM classic, Tannoy "Langley"

+ Reply to Thread