+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help: Bi-wiring and cable thickness?

I'm Martin.

I would not bi-wire. Get a decent set of jumpers ( spend £50 tops) and use the thickest multi-strand copper cable you can get, single run into the bass terminals. Connect the jumpers between the bass terminals and the hf terminals and you're good to go.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Modern B&W are never an easy load so I would not recommend using both A and B speaker outputs at the same time. The amp will shut down or blow a fuse. Been there, done that, as have countless people.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Exophile View Post
    5% of speaker resistance for cable resistance, that would permit for some very long cable runs! For 8 ohm speakers that would be 400 milliohm resistance, so 50 m / 150 ft for AWG 14 wire! Even if I reduce that by 1/3 for LF, then I still have 100 ft of run.
    Not quite - the loop resistance should be no more than 5% of the nominal speaker impedance; that is the combined resistance of both wires. A figure of 5% is chosen so the damping factor is not reduced to less than about 20. So a loop resistance of no more than 400 mOhm implies a speaker cable length of no more than 78 ft, if the two wires are AGW 14. Still pretty long for a speaker cable; but up to a couple of years ago my speaker cables were 50 ft in length.

https://www.cirris.com/learning-cent...lculator-table
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123