+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugden A21 set at 250v ?

I'm John.

Default Sugden A21 set at 250v ?

I have a question that's been bothering me since I noticed it recently concerning my wooden sleeved original Sugden A21 amp, I noticed that the input dial on the back of the amp is set at 250v and wondered if this is the norm. It's been in use for a couple of years and sounds fantastic but thought I had better check to be on the safe side.

I'm Geoff.

I bought an amplifier from the USA and the manufacturer asked me to check my mains voltage so that it could be optimised for UK use. Repeated measurements over several weeks averaged 247 volts!

Geoff

I'm Mick.

Hi John, sounds fine to me, Prob specked at 250 for reliability.
    I also had a problem with high voltage +257v. (My solar system kept shutting down)
    The elec company monitored the voltage for 3 weeks agreed it was too high and reduced it.
    It seems the closer you are to the substation the higher the voltage, they set the voltage taps so that the last house in the street receives enough power. Hence the voltage variation from the stated 240v.

Mick

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Off load, the mains voltage, as measured at a wall socket, is 242 to 243V. On-load (2000W) the voltage falls to 241 to 242V.

Whereas when measured via a Belkin PF40 mains conditioner, the respective figures are 248V (off load) and 245V (on load).

My house is about 200m from the local transformer.

Agree with the last post - setting the voltage selector dial to 250V won't cause any problems at all.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread