+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Naive question: do I need a ripper?

I'm John.

Default Naive question: do I need a ripper?

Hi
    Thinking about replacing my cd player with a HDD-equipped streamer. In addition to being tempted by tidal etc, I quite like the idea of getting rid of all the CDs that are cluttering the place up at the moment. I was wondering if there is any benefit in going for a streamer/ripper like the Innuos Zen mini or Bluesound Vault 2?
    If I went for something like an Auralic Aries mini (with HDD fitted) presumably I could rip CDs on my laptop and transfer the files to the streamer over the wireless network?
    Cheers
    John

I'm James.

[QUOTE=fiddlemaker;1002513]Hi
    Thinking about replacing my cd player with a HDD-equipped streamer. In addition to being tempted by tidal etc, I quite like the idea of getting rid of all the CDs that are cluttering the place up at the moment. I was wondering if there is any benefit in going for a streamer/ripper like the Innuos Zen mini or Bluesound Vault 2?
    If I went for something like an Auralic Aries mini (with HDD fitted) presumably I could rip CDs on my laptop and transfer the files to the streamer over the wireless network?
    Cheers
    If you do rip all your CD,s I personally wouldn't get rid of them, HDD can fail Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Grant.

yup, you could. plenty other options too tho. an rpi for instance...a laptop etc all controlled from a tablet. works very well, but your idea will be good too. does add a bit to it if you can integrate spotify etc into the system tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    Hi
    Cheers
    John
    Two points:

1) It is not that hard drives can fail: they will. Make sure you have at least two rips of each cd on separate drives as it is time consuming to rip a large collection.

2) Making backups for personal use remains a grey area, but not if you sell the CDs after ripping them. That is a clear breach of copyright.

It is possible to buy automated rippers now that simplify the process of ripping to FLAC. http://www.acronova.com/solution/article/3/review.html

This one works with dBPoweramp.

Geoff

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    Hi
    Cheers
    John
    There was a time when I would wholeheartedly recommend simply ripping on your laptop and choosing an RPi for playback and streaming, however, after the most recent in a long line of time wasting excursions this morning re-reserving the RPi adress on my router I am seriously considering binning the RPi and looking at the Innuos Mini solution myself. There are plenty of alternatives now that combine ripping with file playing and internet streaming but everything I've heard about the Mini sounds good

Yes the RPi is much much cheaper but there are a lot of hidden costs to factor in - and the time wasting element given that software packages all seem to have their own particular lacks before even going through the inordinate amount of fuss setting them up. If that was the end of the story, fair enough - but as this morning's fiasco proved once again... that is rarely the case.

I'm malcolm.

Vortexbox is my weapon of choice, makes ripping pretty easy, attach a usb DAC for playback, and stream to RPIs using Picoreplayer, or Squeezeboxes.

And yes keep the CDs as backup and to prevent possible prosecution, I throw away the jewel cases and put cd and paperwork in folders, cardboard cases filed away in drawers

Vortexbox folders are easy to access via a Windows PC on the same network, so I can easily transfer music to my DAPs.
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread