+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambridge 640P compared to Cambridge Duo or Trichord Dino for Dynavector DV-20X2L

I'm Tony.

Default Cambridge 640P compared to Cambridge Duo or Trichord Dino for Dynavector DV-20X2L

I would appreciate any comments from anybody with experience of the Cambridge Duo (discussion of which seems to be notable by its absence) or Trichord Dino MM/MC Phono stage .

i'm currently supporting a DV-20X2 L (the low output version) on my Rega P9 via Cambridge Audio 640P MM/MC photo stage. Even so the signal presented to my Audiolab 8000Q/8000P combination is pretty low so I have to have the input gain selectors and volume control turned a long way up and hope that I don't switch to Radio or CD input by accident! The gain from the 640P is only 60 dB. in contrast that from the Duo is quoted at 65 dB; am I going to experience much of a difference in gain terms? Or would I be better looking at something like Trichord Dino, which apparently has 80 dB gain (maximum).

In quality terms, given the known limitations of my Mark I ears and the possible limitations of my amplification stages plus Spendor SP100 speakers from about 1985, am I going to detect any musical 'improvement' above the 640P by moving to a Duo or Trichord Dino? I have to say that I am somewhat skeptical about claims of 'huge gains in quality' by this sort of upgrade. Emperor's new clothes and that sort of thing.....

I'm Gary.

I think your 640p may be out of place in your system, the cartridge definitely deserves a better phono stage.

I had a 640p and wasn't too impressed.

There are good reports of the Tisbury Audio Domino which retails at around £150 new and I believe can be had on a sale or return basis. So you can try and you don't hear any enhancement at probably just postage costs you incurr.

There are many more expensive options, someone on here may have a used item for sale.

Only my view I'm sure you will get other comments.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by LateJunction View Post
    I would appreciate any comments from anybody with experience of the Cambridge Duo (discussion of which seems to be notable by its absence) or Trichord Dino MM/MC Phono stage .

i'm currently supporting a DV-20X2 L (the low output version) on my Rega P9 via Cambridge Audio 640P MM/MC photo stage. Even so the signal presented to my Audiolab 8000Q/8000P combination is pretty low so I have to have the input gain selectors and volume control turned a long way up and hope that I don't switch to Radio or CD input by accident! The gain from the 640P is only 60 dB. in contrast that from the Duo is quoted at 65 dB; am I going to experience much of a difference in gain terms? Or would I be better looking at something like Trichord Dino, which apparently has 80 dB gain (maximum).

In quality terms, given the known limitations of my Mark I ears and the possible limitations of my amplification stages plus Spendor SP100 speakers from about 1985, am I going to detect any musical 'improvement' above the 640P by moving to a Duo or Trichord Dino? I have to say that I am somewhat skeptical about claims of 'huge gains in quality' by this sort of upgrade. Emperor's new clothes and that sort of thing.....
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I think your 640p may be out of place in your system, the cartridge definitely deserves a better phono stage
    I agree. The 640P is fine in a basic, budget system. But not good enough here.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I agree. The 640P is fine in a basic, budget system. But not good enough here.
    Any suggestion of what is, within budget of about £400, give or take ?

I'm Tony.

I think your 640p may be out of place in your system, the cartridge definitely deserves a better phono stage.

I had a 640p and wasn't too impressed.

There are good reports of the Tisbury Audio Domino which retails at around £150 new and I believe can be had on a sale or return basis. So you can try and you don't hear any enhancement at probably just postage costs you incurr.

There are many more expensive options, someone on here may have a used item for sale.

Only my view I'm sure you will get other comments.

Gary
    If I care to admit myself, I probably agree, which is why I am seeking to replace the 640P. Are you also saying that the CA Duo and the Trichord Dino are similarly not adequate for this cartridge, whereas something that retails at a much lower price is? (and yes, I know that retail price is not a definitve guide to performance).

I'm Gary.

What I'm trying to impart is that the skies the limit with phono pre-amps, will you hear the differences with your current setup is the question?

I'm not familiar with your speakers, but contentiously, not a lot has changed, some vintage (?) speakers are very well regarded. We are all different as to what we consider sounds better, or can hear the difference.

What I'm saying is that here's a way to try something different with minimal outlay. I am in no way connected with Tisbury but various reports indicate that it is good enough in very high level systems. Have a Google see what you can find, take some with a pinch of salt though.

If you have a dealer near that will let you have a demo, in your own system, in your own environment, some alternatives do it.

Only you can decide what you hear. What do you have to loose?

Many people consider their systems to be a status thing, having named items to quote as their cost, not necessarily SQA.

Sorry to go on

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by LateJunction View Post
    If I care to admit myself, I probably agree, which is why I am seeking to replace the 640P. Are you also saying that the CA Duo and the Trichord Dino are similarly not adequate for this cartridge, whereas something that retails at a much lower price is? (and yes, I know that retail price is not a definitve guide to performance).

I'm Geoff.

I'm not familiar with your speakers
    I am. They are a true classic and well suited for use in a seriously good system.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I am. They are a true classic and well suited for use in a seriously good system.
    A definitive answer on your speakers

Gary

I'm Grant.

Lots of good stages that will beat the Cambridge with that cart under 400, even new but second hand you will do better again.
    You could put a wanted ad up for a stage under 400. Sure there will be a few the members will have assuming you will go second hand of course
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

I absolutely agree: the physics of speakers hasn't changed much in the nearly 60 years since I have been buying them. That's why I have stayed with my Spendor SA2 (1981) in one room and Spendor SP100 (ca. 1985) as the main ones. Of course others would say that I stay with them only to avoid the loss of face that would be implied by changing them! However, I am the least status conscious person I know, possessing nothing flashy, so the label or price on a bit of kit is far less important to me than the way it performs..

In that regard it is very difficult to know, through the services of Google, how a device will perform in my environment, with my ears. But I do know enough to know that a pinch of salt is the bare minimum: bucketfuls are required to 'neutralise' the torrent of arrant cods-wallop, self-aggrandisement and barely concealed 'product placement' that is found within so many reviews. More-over, the whole hifi industry seems steeped in an 'Emperor's new clothes' syndrome and an almost fanatical religious belief in marketing propaganda. It all got too much for me once when a hifi dealer was comparing my £40 (purchased used) 640P with a £1200 alternative in an A-B test and got the two mixed up!

I am inclined to give the Tisbury a home demo test under their 14 day money back offer.

What I'm trying to impart is that the skies the limit with phono pre-amps, will you hear the differences with your current setup is the question?

I'm not familiar with your speakers, but contentiously, not a lot has changed, some vintage (?) speakers are very well regarded. We are all different as to what we consider sounds better, or can hear the difference.

What I'm saying is that here's a way to try something different with minimal outlay. I am in no way connected with Tisbury but various reports indicate that it is good enough in very high level systems. Have a Google see what you can find, take some with a pinch of salt though.

Many people consider their systems to be a status thing, having named items to quote as their cost, not necessarily SQA.

Gary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast