+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker change

I'm Andrew.

Default Speaker change

Hi all.
    I'm currently have the following system;
    Cambridge Audio 650amp running a CA640T, CA640C, Marantz DR6000 CD recorder and Pro-Ject Debut III through a CA540p phono amp.
    These all run through a pair of Cambridge Audio S70 floor standing speakers.
    Whilst I've lived with this system for approx 8 years, I'm wanting to improve the bass somewhat, especially in the lower volumes as it's rare I get the chance to crank it up!
    I've bi-wired the current speakers, which I wasn't expecting it to make any difference, but it has. The mid & highs are to me nice and clear. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which make/model would be worth trying out?
    Or do I need to look at a different amp? I don't have a massive budget and I'd like to stick with floor standers. I'd love to get a matching Marantz amp in Champaign gold for the cd recorder like a PM7000, but would this be a sideways/ backward move?

I'm Martin.

You want more bass even when volume is quite low? Pretty common issue and it's why amps used to have a loudness button, or tone control.

You won't get that by changing speakers unless you go for something much, much bigger. You won't get it by changing the amplifier unless you go for one with tone controls or a loudness button.

If I was looking to upgrade what you have I'd get better amplification first. You could get a QUAD pre-power combo with the '66' pre-amp - that has a loudness contour adjustment so you can balance the sound how you want it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142896365177 - not as crude as tone controls or a loudness switch, you can put in a house curve that will bring the whole lower end up a bit so it doesn't sound thin at low levels.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Andy, it might be an idea if you let people know how big your room is and what your budget may be and whether you will buy new or second hand. Second hand gets some great bargains.

I'm steve.

Default Speaker change

I've had a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 floor standers for about 6 months and can heartily recommend them, now they have been superseded by the 3050i model the 3050 can now be had for £349. Like yourself I don't get to play them loud very often but because of the twin bass drivers the bass doesn't fall away at low volumes. I'm just one of a number of forum members using them and at the current price they are a bargain. With 92db sensitivity you don't need much power to drive them, I run them with an Amptastic Mini 1 which is only about 15wpc, half volume with it gives a good room filling level.
    I'm sure your current amp would work fine with them.
    The earlier 2050i model is also available for £269, both have been WHF Award winners in previous years.

http://ecom.armourhome.co.uk/ecom/th...hificritic.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You want more bass even when volume is quite low? Pretty common issue and it's why amps used to have a loudness button, or tone control.

You won't get that by changing speakers unless you go for something much, much bigger. You won't get it by changing the amplifier unless you go for one with tone controls or a loudness button.

If I was looking to upgrade what you have I'd get better amplification first. You could get a QUAD pre-power combo with the '66' pre-amp - that has a loudness contour adjustment so you can balance the sound how you want it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142896365177 - not as crude as tone controls or a loudness switch, you can put in a house curve that will bring the whole lower end up a bit so it doesn't sound thin at low levels.
    Martin,
    what would be your opinion on adding a sub to help with bass at low listening volumes?
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyHaines View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm currently have the following system;
    Cambridge Audio 650amp running a CA640T, CA640C, Marantz DR6000 CD recorder and Pro-Ject Debut III through a CA540p phono amp.
    These all run through a pair of Cambridge Audio S70 floor standing speakers.
    Whilst I've lived with this system for approx 8 years, I'm wanting to improve the bass somewhat, especially in the lower volumes as it's rare I get the chance to crank it up!
    I've bi-wired the current speakers, which I wasn't expecting it to make any difference, but it has. The mid & highs are to me nice and clear. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which make/model would be worth trying out?
    Or do I need to look at a different amp? I don't have a massive budget and I'd like to stick with floor standers. I'd love to get a matching Marantz amp in Champaign gold for the cd recorder like a PM7000, but would this be a sideways/ backward move?
    there is a pm7000 in gold currently on ebay

there is also a rather nice pm15s1, which i wish i had not seen and am doing my hardest to ignore
    Last edited by oldson; 18-08-2018 at 18:25.
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    Martin,
    what would be your opinion on adding a sub to help with bass at low listening volumes?
    Can be made to work. Depends on the speakers, the sub and the room IME. I've a big Yamaha sub I had working reasonably well firing into a corner. Bass is a bit soft from it but it still adds a bit of 'weight' and body. Your main problem is bass from the sub travelling and disturbing whoever it is you don't want to disturb and then you're back at square one.

Best solution for low level listening I've found is to sit quite close to the speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

Tannoy DCs are known for sounding good at low volumes but maybe too big for you. I've heard people say PMC DB1 are good at low volumes and also Harbeth, so maybe worth checking those out.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Best solution for low level listening I've found is to sit quite close to the speakers.

Yes, that can work very well.

I'm Mike.

if you're not wanting to spend mega a lot of money perhaps a 2nd hand pair of Rega rs3 or rs5's i've always been impressed with them

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast