+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hifi/tv setup

I'm Matt.

I’d also add my vote for a Naim uniti with some decent speakers over active LS50’s, which I don’t personally rate that much. It may also be worth looking at running an Ethernet cable down to the basement if possible for the streaming. The Uniti has digital inputs for your tv. Add a half decent phono stage & job done.

I'm Phil.

The uniti atom does look interesting, but it doesn’t look to have a sub out which I would want to use for watching films

I'm Matt.

You could use a REL sub with its Neutrik cable, negating the need for a sub out socket.

I'm Neil.

I like your girlfriend’s style, allowing you to indulge in a dedicated music and movie room.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Default Hifi/tv setup

Personally I would just grab a Raspberry Pi with a suitable digital out HAT board, and then get something like the new BK Double Gem sub, and connect it to your Brio-R speaker outs. Well under £500 all in.

...or if you are feeling a bit more adventurous, need more than 1080p, and don’t mind building a computer, then I can recommend the fanless ASRock J4205-ITX, it has an integrated processor, which will do 4K films at 60Hz. It’s what I use for my own silent media server. Easily built for under £300.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 17-08-2018 at 19:46.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    Hi all, early next year I am planning to move in with my girlfriend. She has a basement room in her house, tanked carpeted and decorated but unused other than for storage. The plan is to turn it into a music and film room. It is approx 15’ x12’ with a ceiling height of 7’.

My plan is to change my system entirely to move to a setup that I can watch films through as well as listening to music. Currently I have a Rega Brio-r, audiolab q dac, Rega RS1 speakers and a Thorens TD160. My initial thought is to ditch most of my gear and pick up a pair of KEF LS50 wireless, a sub and a phono stage.

My question to you all is can I make better use of my £2.5/3k to get a set up that works for streaming, records and films?

Thanks
    Phil
    I would keep everything you have to start with so you can hear what it sounds like in the basement.

Then make changes to suit.

Films and TV on a really good 2 channel system can sound better than on an entry level AV system, in my opinion.

Also in a smallish basement you might be sat too near the rear speakers, that can be annoying sometimes.

For active speakers also consider some of the studio brands such as Adam Audio, https://www.adam-audio.com/en/ Can be expensive for the high end 'S' models but they are excellent.

Front ported speakers should be better than rear ported near the wall in a small room. The KEF are rear ported and might not be ideal near the wall.

A DAC with remote control input selection and volume and balanced XLR outputs into a pair of active speakers might be all you need for two channel music and films, apart from the turntable of course...

Sound like a fun move

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    You could use a REL sub with its Neutrik cable, negating the need for a sub out socket.

Any sub as long as it has high level inputs, you don't need a sub out socket.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Phil.

Finally moved in! Here is the room with my current kit...

The TV will soon be upgraded to a nice 65inch and shelving for records will be added to the alcoves. My current kit is sounding so much better than it did before so I plan to just enjoy it for a few months before the upgrade path starts in earnest!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

That looks lovely - well done!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12