+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hifi/tv setup

I'm Phil.

Default Hifi/tv setup

Hi all, early next year I am planning to move in with my girlfriend. She has a basement room in her house, tanked carpeted and decorated but unused other than for storage. The plan is to turn it into a music and film room. It is approx 15’ x12’ with a ceiling height of 7’.

My plan is to change my system entirely to move to a setup that I can watch films through as well as listening to music. Currently I have a Rega Brio-r, audiolab q dac, Rega RS1 speakers and a Thorens TD160. My initial thought is to ditch most of my gear and pick up a pair of KEF LS50 wireless, a sub and a phono stage.

My question to you all is can I make better use of my £2.5/3k to get a set up that works for streaming, records and films?

Thanks
    Phil

I'm richard.

Firstly, you have a good set-up.

I would personally look at Naim Uniti. Naim generally works well with Rega speakers. The only issue I can see with Naim is they don't a built-in phono stage for vinyl.

The main issue will be for you is to discover if the basement, with carpets, is going to be reflective. If so you'll need to look at smoother amplification or speakers or both.

A home demo is going to be a must.

Also have a look at Leema:

https://www.leema-acoustics.com/product.html?prid=85
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm Mike.

In my experience basements make great music rooms, i've recently turned my basement into my hifi room and as there are no windows down there, the roof is low and i think the effect of tanking means that my stereo sounds amazing, deeper tighter bass and generally a better overall sound, i'm using a pair of Mordaunt Short MS45Ti's and was going to change them until i stuck em in the basement setup, now i don't think i'd part with them especially considering i only paid £30 for them and they're mint, i tried a pair of Rega RX5 down there and couldn't see apart from the nicer finish any major improvements sonically over my £30 MS speakers.

However if you're going to change the setup and want to add TV and streamed music into the mix, i'd suggest an A/V amp that can connect to your internet to allow you to stream media such as spotify and listen to net radio, i use the Yamaha RX777 in my A/V setup, it's a great piece of kit, very musical and very well built, speakers will depend on your personal taste, but i think you'll find that if you can try some in your room you'll be surprised, finally tanking shouldn't be broken or punctured so if you are planning on bolting the tv to the wall think again and maybe get a floor stand for it

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic penguin View Post
    Firstly, you have a good set-up.

I would personally look at Naim Uniti. Naim generally works well with Rega speakers. The only issue I can see with Naim is they don't a built-in phono stage for vinyl.

The main issue will be for you is to discover if the basement, with carpets, is going to be reflective. If so you'll need to look at smoother amplification or speakers or both.

A home demo is going to be a must.

Also have a look at Leema:

https://www.leema-acoustics.com/product.html?prid=85
    What do you mean about carpets being reflective? I thought carpets were good for absorbing sound?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Daz.

Hegel's integrateds enjoy some great feedback on their cooperation with KEF's LS50s (which amplifier doesn't like these brilliant passive KEFs anyway), and they (Hegels) are just perfect for mixing two channel TV and sole audio. Excellent DAC chip installed, namely AKM 449X series. Network abilities so handy for streaming. The slight issue is there is no phono stage in place, so separate one would be required, or at least one built into a turntable.

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    What do you mean about carpets being reflective? I thought carpets were good for absorbing sound?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Not the carpets reflective. But basements generally, because of their enclosed nature, are reflective. So carpets may not be enough to tame any brightness the basement produces. Depending on what furniture is going in the OP may have to budget for some sort of acoustic panels. That can't be determined until he tries out a system.
    Leema Pulse MKI; Electrocompaniet PC-1; PMC TB2i; Denon TU-260 MKII; Pro-ject Xpression 1 with ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge

I'm Adam.

Why not just keep the equipment you've got and add an A/V receiver that has pre-outs for the front channels, which you can run through your Rega amp, leaving the receiver to run the other channels?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Why not just keep the equipment you've got and add an A/V receiver that has pre-outs for the front channels, which you can run through your Rega amp, leaving the receiver to run the other channels?
    The whole idea was to improve on my current speakers. Although i really like them i was planning to get something which would fill the room better and I like the idea of the DSP functionality that the LS50W has. Also, the QDAC doesn't have a remote which is something i would want if my system was doubling up for TV duties. Plus, i stream music using a Google Chromecast so i would have to factor in getting a streamer as well.

Ultimately i want to work out if the sound i liked from the LS50W can bettered using separates.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic penguin View Post
    But basements generally, because of their enclosed nature, are reflective.
    Are not all rooms enclosed if your basement is tanked the way mine is, then there is a poly membrane then rockwool then plasterboard attached to a wooden frame, this makes in my case for a very quiet, sonically unreflective environment, perfect for music.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Martin.

The low ceiling in most basements does exacerbate things, reflection-wise.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast