+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles - Really?

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    The level of legal restrictions applied to pedal cycles and electrical vehicles is staggeringly minimal compared to that of larger road vehicles (cars, vans, trucks, etc) and what little there is is barely enforced, if at all, by comparison.
    Pavement use by such vehicles is not even remotely policed despite the clear dangers and the accidents that occur on a regular basis ... including fatalities such as the one linked to.
    What modders do to cars is irrelevant and doesn't excuse latitude in other cases.
    Exactly.

I've lost count of the number of times I have almost been mown down by badly ridden bikes in Cambridge. They are on the pavements, riding the wrong way on one way streets, ignoring traffic lights and going too fast to stop safely. It's like a Velodrome.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Exactly.

I've lost count of the number of times I have almost been mown down by badly ridden bikes in Cambridge. They are on the pavements, riding the wrong way on one way streets, ignoring traffic lights and going too fast to stop safely. It's like a Velodrome.
    It's not just cities. My latest brush with death at the hands of a lycra lout came when I was in a quiet country lane not far from a section of the Ridgeway in rural South Oxfordshire, roughly equidistant from the big smokes of Henley on Thames and Wallingford (appropriately enough a regular filming location for Midsummer Murders).

I drive this lane occasionally as there's a wonderful part-Saxon/early Norman church round there that's lovely to visit, and it's a 5 mph drive - it's hilly, high hedges restrict visibility especially in spring and summer, and it's single track with occasional passing places - so the last thing I was expecting was a bunch of day-glow clowns on a make-believe Tour de France charging out of nowhere at full pelt.

Walking correctly on the right hand side of the road facing oncoming traffic we were narrowly missed by the one at the front, then sworn at and abused by several of them for not getting out of the way quick enough.

One can only hope that one day they meet an equally self-entitled Range Rover driver coming too fast the other way.

I'm Martin.

It's the sense of entitlement that really pisses me off. I'm sure a lot of cyclists don't have that but there are far too many who do.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Plenty of car owners who think they own road too... driving ability and especially awareness is extremely poor. I dont think the ease in which new vehicles drive have helped. Instead of being occupied with art of driving properly they are to busy doing other things.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Pudgy, middle aged Men in day glow Lycra should be thrashed. They really should know better.
    Just why exactly do cyclists not contribute to the taxes other road users get royally bent over for?
    And why do they have to ride 2 abreast on the road in those big swarms of day glow?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Pudgy, middle aged Men in day glow Lycra should be thrashed. They really should know better.
    Just why exactly do cyclists not contribute to the taxes other road users get royally bent over for?
    And why do they have to ride 2 abreast on the road in those big swarms of day glow?
    1) Proper cyclists are unlikely to be pudgy.

1) How much wear & tear and congestion do cyclists cause?

3) Why shouldn't they ride 2 abreast. It's legal and takes up less road width than a car.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Fair point. They can be a bit of a eyesore though. And the dressing up box should really be left to infants.

2) How much wear & tear and congestion do cyclists cause?
    Quite a bit of congestion if they are holding up other traffic (as they frequently do on rural and semi-rural roads expecially when riding in packs) and there is additional wear and tear as cars break to slow then accelerate to go past.

3) Why shouldn't they ride 2 abreast. It's legal and takes up less room than a car.
    Because it's inconsiderate to other road users, see above.

BTW I'm by no means defending dickhead car driving or aggressive behavior by car drivers towards cyclists, simply pointing out that there are things cyclists do (for example, going to the front of the lights where there is no cycle lane, requiring every car that previously passed them to pass them again, instead of simply taking their place in the queue) that are particularly annoying to law abiding car drivers.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 13-08-2018 at 13:43.

I'm Richie.

i pay ved for two cars - can i cycle on your roads, or not?

I'm Adam.

'Proper' ...what does that mean?...loads of porkers round here pretending to wear the yellow jersey.

1) How much wear & tear and congestion do cyclists cause?
    What's that to do with it? if you use the road on wheels you should pay..simple.

3) Why shouldn't they ride 2 abreast. It's legal and takes up less road width than a car.

true, but still annoying for no logical reason.

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    i pay ved for two cars - can i cycle on your roads, or not?
    NOPE, if you pay for 2 cars AND your bike, why yes, feel free good sir.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast