+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles - Really?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Amazing how anti-cyclist the mood seems. It almost makes me want to buy another bike, just to piss everybody off!

Mind you, I can be just as annoying on my motorbike.
    Far from anti-cyclist, I have a push bike myself, but as Macca says it's the dressing up that's the giveaway .. the message to cyclists is the same as to idiot drivers: the public highway is not a racetrack and treating it as such should be punishable by law.

I'm Geoff.

In reality, as road users, cyclists have very little impact on most folk's everyday life.

Take a drive round the M25 in a rainy rush hour and see if the antics of HGV artic drivers and of course white van man bother you less than cyclists do.

I'm Martin.

Cyclists are not allowed on the motorwayso that's not really an argument.

The problem is they are too slow, so they cause tailbacks and put drivers in a position where they need to cross the white line to overtake them.

I'd suggest that the pavements could be designated as cycle lanes between 0700 and 0900 and again between 1700 and 1800. So anyone cycling to and from work is not holding up traffic at the busiest time of the day and is also safe from being run over by that traffic. Obviously they should show due care to pedestrians, and the pedestrians would have to be more aware during those hours.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The problem is they are too slow, so they cause tailbacks and put drivers in a position where they need to cross the white line to overtake them
    Try telling that to the old biddies that drive their mobility scooters along the roads. There are a few around here causing all sorts of problems.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    In reality, as road users, cyclists have very little impact on most folk's everyday life.

Take a drive round the M25 in a rainy rush hour and see if the antics of HGV artic drivers and of course white van man bother you less than cyclists do.
    Well out here in/on the edge of the countryside on summer evenings and and weekends the roads are chokka with gangs of would-be racers all working on their personal best and damned dangerous it is too.

I'm Mark.

I'd suggest that the pavements could be designated as cycle lanes between 0700 and 0900 and again between 1700 and 1800. So anyone cycling to and from work is not holding up traffic at the busiest time of the day and is also safe from being run over by that traffic. Obviously they should show due care to pedestrians, and the pedestrians would have to be more aware during those hours.
    No mate, the pavements are already being used by motorists to park at least half of their car on, thus forcing people with prams and mobility scooters onto the roads!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    No mate, the pavements are already being used by motorists to park at least half of their car on, thus forcing people with prams and mobility scooters onto the roads!
    Don't get that round here. Not yet anyway. There are a lot of steep hills round here though and I've seen plenty of cyclists toiling up them with a long line of cars behind them. No way to overtake as there is a constant stream of traffic coming the other way. And the cyclist can't pull over to let them pass because the road to his left is lined with parked cars. Under my proposal he could have just legally ridden up the hill on the pavement and caused no bother.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Theres a lot of misconceptions re rules of cycling both by motorists and police. And cyclists
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Don't get that round here. Not yet anyway.
    Nor here.... The lack of parking spaces is symptomatic of life 'darn sarf'. I was watching a programme the other day, called 'Parking Wars', or some such, and some of the antics folk are forced to get up to, in southerly locations in the UK, simply trying to park their cars when going shopping, was both rather amusing and incredible/shocking...

One couple, from London, spent over an HOUR, going round and round, trying to find a parking place! They eventually found one, but I just don't know how anyone could be bothered. I'd have given up after 10 mins and taken the tube!!

Round here you can park pretty much where you want at any time of the day, and that sort of freedom is worth its weight in gold

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

It can be tough here because there is no off road parking and there are resident's parking zones - which you have to pay an annual fee for but which don't guarantee you a parking space.

But as was pointed out in the article I linked to in the 'Paving Paradise' thread, if you allocated enough parking spaces so that people could park anywhere all the time, there would be no space left to put anything else. At least not in the UK and definitely not in London/South East.

The problem is that as usual nothing is ever thought through. Take the hospitals - they close all the old, small ones and build mega hospitals that serve the entire city. 10,000 staff, 15000 patients and 30,000 visitors, 90% of whom will get there by car, and they put in a rinky dink little car park with about 50 spaces.

Then you get the residents nearby complaining they can't park because of the hospital, or their driveways get blocked and so on. The hospital do the only thing they can think of which is to rack up the parking charges to discourage people from travelling there by car. That gets another round of complaints. And so on. All unintended consequences of screwing up a system that may have appeared inefficient but actually worked for everyone concerned. Thus making it far more efficient than the replacement.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast