+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles - Really?

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    To a degree but the range of these vehicles is longer than most are ever prepared to walk. And it is quicker, too
    Aye - and there's the rub ... been nearly mown down a couple of times by twats riding mobility scooters or electric bikes in busy pedestrian areas or on footpaths. I use the term 'twats' advisedly as, whilst many users take great care not to drive at speed in such situations, there are a few that clearly don't give a shit and don't give a toss what the consequences of their selfishness might be.

As these kinds of transport begin to take on significant user numbers (of all ages) there's a real need to start talking about proficiency tests, road tax and mandatory insurance BEFORE they are allowed anywhere near other road users.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Have you ever been to Amsterdam? Pedestrians do NOT have right of way.

Seems to work.
    Not true - I learnt to drive in Holland and passed my test there. There are certainly a number of situations where pedestrians DO have the right of way... not saying they are always adhered to - but such is the case with any law.

I'm Shane.

Some people find them very useful:

2c8F4Wscdag
    Last edited by shane; 12-08-2018 at 11:57.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What would be even more efficient is a society where no-one needs to travel distances very often. One where you can walk to the shops, walk to work, walk to school because it is all within half a mile of your house. Effectively the exact set-up we used to have until they decided to change it all.
    It seems that the assumption is that everyone lives in a town or city!

Try living in a rural community, no local work you have to drive, bus services negligeable.

Cycling to work, don't make me laugh, though last winter. Nearest town 15 miles limited work available.

Nearest city with meaning ful employment 25 miles.

My choice to live here I know.

Let's make a law that encompasses locations, people who live in towns or cities can't own cars, after all this is were the pollution is concentrated.

Driving children to school banned.

All in the best possible taste
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Some people find them very useful:

[youtube]2c8F4Wscdag[/youtube]
    that the gadget my grandson was using.. wish they had them when I was young
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    It seems that the assumption is that everyone lives in a town or city!

Try living in a rural community, no local work you have to drive, bus services negligeable.

Cycling to work, don't make me laugh, though last winter. Nearest town 15 miles limited work available.

Nearest city with meaning ful employment 25 miles.

My choice to live here I know.

Let's make a law that encompasses locations, people who live in towns or cities can't own cars, after all this is were the pollution is concentrated.

Driving children to school banned.

All in the best possible taste
    That's now but in the past you had a shops, post office , pubs, village school. You could buy stuff direct from the farm. And everyone who lived there would work round about, on the farms and that. Okay so school would be a bus ride to the nearest town, or if you wanted to buy something fancy. But that's about it.

Anyway most people live in towns and cities, if they weren't also having to drive everywhere the inefficiencies of the comparative few who need to commute from the countryside wouldn't be much of an issue on its own.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

What would be even more efficient is a society where no-one needs to travel distances very often. One where you can walk to the shops, walk to work, walk to school because it is all within half a mile of your house. Effectively the exact set-up we used to have until they decided to change it all.
    Exactly. We have created a car-dependant world. We need to say "Right this isn't working, lets go back to the point before it started going wrong". The current set up penalises town centre shops with all the parking restrictions and stupidly high council taxes, while Amazon can turn over billions and somehow pay next to bugger all taxes.

Bring the big stores back into the town centres, and the out of town stores and warehouses could be given to whichever farmers they originally bought the land from. Make nice big cow sheds and barns.

And let's have an efficient and keenly priced public transport system.

One of my dad's most often recited gripes is when driving form Preston to Chorley one morning, he saw coming in the opposite direction a Chorley-based plumber's van, probably headed to Preston. I see where he's coming form with this - we should make better use of local businesses. My brother buys his windows and doors from a firm in Manchester, who deliver it to him. He saves a bit of money, but if ever there is something missing or faulty he has to drive to Manchester or wait for the next delivery. I buy mine from a local firm, and although I pay a little more, We have a good relationship with mutual trust, plus if there's ever a problem they are a few minutes away, not an hour on the motorway (each way!)

There's an assumption that 'the new way' has to be better than the old, otherwise why change it? We just have to accept that sometimes we may get it wrong.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Gary.

That's now but in the past you had a shops, post office , pubs, village school. You could buy stuff direct from the farm. And everyone who lived there would work round about, on the farms and that. Okay so school would be a bus ride to the nearest town, or if you wanted to buy something fancy. But that's about it.

Anyway most people live in towns and cities, if they weren't also having to drive everywhere the inefficiencies of the comparative few who need to commute from the countryside wouldn't be much of an issue on its own.
    The past is irrelevant.

I think that most people work in cities or towns is true, however the percentage that commute into those cities or towns is unknown.

It would be interesting to see the projected use of electric cars power consumption with the projections of power production from the U.K.'s power sources, together with the infrastructure to support the volumes.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Grant.

Think the big issue will be how do people who dont have a driveway etc charge them up? or is this just a way to keep poorer folk on public transport and bikes while our richer counterparts swan along in teslas
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Maybe they could fit charging points to lamp posts etc, something that can record your usage and bill you accordingly.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast