+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles - Really?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No-one's answered the question as to why it matters. Even if there was an 'obesity epidemic', so what?

Yes there are plenty of overweight adults round here. Round everywhere in fact but again, so what?

I'm not fat - quite the opposite in fact, even though one of the girls at work calculated my calorie intake and it seems to average between 3000 and 5000 per day depending on whether I drink booze that day or not. Just lucky with the genes or something. But if I was fat then that's up to me. I pay doctors their wages to fix me if I'm broken not to lecture me about what I should and shouldn't be doing and certainly not to pass laws to stop me, or tax me if they don't like what I'm doing (God forbid it should make some work for them).

Of course it isn't about that, it's all about them feeling self important and righteous by telling the ignorant plebs how to live their lives. They need to shut up and get on with the job they're actually paid for.
    think its more about trying to instill a healthier lifestyle, and sometimes this is the way. not that i agree with much of it, but many folk need educated before the country grinds to a blobby stop
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

No-one's answered the question as to why it matters.
    Well it matters to me. I find fat women repulsive and the older they get the worse they look. Peel the clothes of a forty year old porker and see. All sagging, shapeless, creased flab and cellulite. Yuk!

Is that sexist? Prejudiced? Biased? Maybe, but I can't help what I think.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    , but many folk need educated
    That's the problem in a nutshell. No they don't! Even the dumbest person in the word knows that being overweight, doing no exercise, smoking, drinking and so on are bad for you. They do it anyway! Not because they don't know any better but because they want to.

Maybe they die young, maybe they live until they are ninety, it doesn't matter. It's their choice. It's not something the government should be involved in at all.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dominic.

No-one's answered the question as to why it matters. Even if there was an 'obesity epidemic', so what?

Yes there are plenty of overweight adults round here. Round everywhere in fact but again, so what?

I'm not fat - quite the opposite in fact, even though one of the girls at work calculated my calorie intake and it seems to average between 3000 and 5000 per day depending on whether I drink booze that day or not. Just lucky with the genes or something. But if I was fat then that's up to me. I pay doctors their wages to fix me if I'm broken not to lecture me about what I should and shouldn't be doing and certainly not to pass laws to stop me, or tax me if they don't like what I'm doing (God forbid it should make some work for them).

Of course it isn't about that, it's all about them feeling self important and righteous by telling the ignorant plebs how to live their lives. They need to shut up and get on with the job they're actually paid for.
    Every time I go to the docs I get a bloody lecture on smoking. They offer me all sorts of "cures" that I have tried already but failed and maybe it's because I don't want to stop smoking that they haven't worked. "Give me one good reason why you smoke" was the last assault I got and my answer shut him up instantly, as I said "It's the one and only friend I have that hasn't let me down". Rather than nag me about quitting they should be pleased that I still am smoking because the fag tax diminishing I reckon is part of the reason why the NHS is short of money. If I die young the government should be whooping with joy at all the pension they are not going to shell out to me. Hypocrical pricks the lot of them.

Don't get me started on doctors, they are doing my head in at the moment. I am diabetic and it's bad enough being put through the mill once a year with the annual review, but these knobs sent me a demand for a snap review 3 months ago without any warning. I was overseas when the letter came and because I didn't attend their review they decided to stop my insulin prescription, so when I tried to order it when I had run out I had to see the doctor to get it reinstated. First appointment I could get was a week away so I had no insulin for 4 days. Thanks. Luckily the worst that happened was I got a bad dose of thrush (a common symptom of diabetes) and we had strong words over stopping my prescription, so the doctor only prescribed an anti-fungal tablet that worked for 24 hours. I ordered another one 3 weeks later with the same result, so I ordered 2 online which was refused, so I still have the thrush and need to wait another 10 days to see the doctor. On top of that each prescription needs 3 clear days before collection so it's a good job I don't have anything life threatening to contend with, at least diabetes doesn't appear to be so.

I had another episode with them and the local hospital which had sweet FA to do with any NHS "funding crisis" which is a great way to obfuscate "sheer fucking stupidity".

And relax . . . . . .
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Every time I go to the docs I get a bloody lecture on smoking. They offer me all sorts of "cures" that I have tried already but failed and maybe it's because I don't want to stop smoking that they haven't worked. "Give me one good reason why you smoke" was the last assault I got and my answer shut him up instantly, as I said "It's the one and only friend I have that hasn't let me down". Rather than nag me about quitting they should be pleased that I still am smoking because the fag tax diminishing I reckon is part of the reason why the NHS is short of money. If I die young the government should be whooping with joy at all the pension they are not going to shell out to me. Hypocrical pricks the lot of them.

Don't get me started on doctors, they are doing my head in at the moment. I am diabetic and it's bad enough being put through the mill once a year with the annual review, but these knobs sent me a demand for a snap review 3 months ago without any warning. I was overseas when the letter came and because I didn't attend their review they decided to stop my insulin prescription, so when I tried to order it when I had run out I had to see the doctor to get it reinstated. First appointment I could get was a week away so I had no insulin for 4 days. Thanks. Luckily the worst that happened was I got a bad dose of thrush (a common symptom of diabetes) and we had strong words over stopping my prescription, so the doctor only prescribed an anti-fungal tablet that worked for 24 hours. I ordered another one 3 weeks later with the same result, so I ordered 2 online which was refused, so I still have the thrush and need to wait another 10 days to see the doctor. On top of that each prescription needs 3 clear days before collection so it's a good job I don't have anything life threatening to contend with, at least diabetes doesn't appear to be so.

I had another episode with them and the local hospital which had sweet FA to do with any NHS "funding crisis" which is a great way to obfuscate "sheer fucking stupidity".

And relax . . . . . .
    I know... it takes a week for a prescription to come here now. Cant get a home visit if im not well enough to go out so i just have to suffer,(and presumably die if possible) cant get any help either as govt have rigged the system.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Martin's "so what?" take on the "obesity epidemic" made me think, and I've decided I agree entirely. Obese adults aren't like that through ignorance, they know it's bad for them, and they are probably just the next excuse to be wheeled out to justify the "NHS crisis". It's the doctors I can't abide, with their normal shape and apparent good health. Smug bastards!

Just so long as the fatties leave enough food for the rest of us, I'm happy. As my brother would often say about chunky folk: You'd rather keep him for a week than a fortnight.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

By the way, great thread about electric vehicles!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Had a ride in Prius today, first time I've been in an all-electric vehicle unless you count a low-loader.

Impressively smooth and quiet but so quiet that if you go over a rough bit of road you can hear the thing rattles like tin of dried peas rolling down a washboard. For a Toyata the interior build quality is awful.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

The Prius is a hybrid. Not all electric.

It's about as exciting as it's inspiration. The milk float.

I'm Martin.

Oh I thought it was all electric. I couldn't hear any engine cutting in at any point.

Anyway the rattling reminded me of my one and only trip in an FSO Pollenez (a journey that ended up with us crashing into a brick wall) and that's not good.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast