+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles - Really?

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post

Let's make a law that encompasses locations, people who live in towns or cities can't own cars, after all this is were the pollution is concentrated.
    In our (small) city that would require a massive upgrade to local bus routes and timings first to have any chance ... not ever going to happen - in fact it's in strong decline.

I'm Grant.

There are some great gadgets in the video, but in this country, thats all they are tbh. Weather, traffic, road surfaces and inclinations would mean they wont be used much.
    Big changes will be needed, but most important would be proper integrated cheap public transport which, lets face it, isnt economic outwith the big cities.
    Getting business to scatter is a nice thought but they arent going to do it. They want to be in a central location for mass selling. Financial services like to be in areas like london where they can take their clients to the opera etc and top staff wont live in places like Lochgelly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    In our (small) city that would require a massive upgrade to local bus routes and timings first to have any chance ... not ever going to happen - in fact it's in strong decline.
    In reality I know this, even our pathetic service is in decline.

A part answer is home working as I did before I retired, this is limited to certain functions though.

With the same job though I went through a 3 month or so period where I had to be in Fareham on a Monday, Milton Keynes on a Wednesday and Newcastle on Tyne on Fridays......some 1000+ miles a week.

I was, however, a bit Eco, working paperless 95% of the time. Didn't compensate for the fuel usage though, that was out of my control.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Justin.

It would be interesting to see the projected use of electric cars power consumption with the projections of power production from the U.K.'s power sources, together with the infrastructure to support the volumes.
    Exactly. No one ever seems to talk about this. It is an issue.

I'm Martin.

The past is irrelevant..
    I don't know, I think we can learn from the past. What's wrong with taking the things that worked well then and bringing them back?

Lots of people cycle now to get about, that's something that has come back from the past. When I was a lad you would not see anyone between the ages of 18 and 60 on a bike, except the odd student. But my grandfather (born 1903) cycled to work and back every day as did thousands of working-class men.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    There are some great gadgets in the video, but in this country, thats all they are tbh. Weather, traffic, road surfaces and inclinations would mean they wont be used much.
    Big changes will be needed, but most important would be proper integrated cheap public transport which, lets face it, isnt economic outwith the big cities.
    Getting business to scatter is a nice thought but they arent going to do it. They want to be in a central location for mass selling. Financial services like to be in areas like london where they can take their clients to the opera etc and top staff wont live in places like Lochgelly.
    Big changes are already in place with Bristol declaring war on the motorist with 20mph speed limits through the the centre, and cycle lanes everywhere.

A mass of these vehicles, the video only touches on a few, are well able to keep up with a 20mph speed limit. Yet the option to use them legally is not there.

This is absurd. Scooters and some of the other vehicles are as safe as bikes I would say. More so, really. They are easier to jump off of. Come off a bike and you are far more likely to really hurt yourself.

I don't buy the this country argument at all. Push bikes are popular in Bristol but the use of electric ones would be far more popular as people are basically lazy. They are still a bit too pricey at the moment. I think they just need more promotion and a realist restriction of 30 mph (for out of town use).

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't know, I think we can learn from the past. What's wrong with taking the things that worked well then and bringing them back?

Lots of people cycle now to get about, that's something that has come back from the past. When I was a lad you would not see anyone between the ages of 18 and 60 on a bike, except the odd student. But my grandfather (born 1903) cycled to work and back every day as did thousands of working-class men.
    Because it just won't work, certainly we can learn from the past, but bring back horses (think of the mess that used to abound) bring back workhouses, children working at 6 years old under the looms in mills? No immigrants of a notable number. Wars where hundreds of thousands get killed.

If you're grandfather was roughly in the same location you are in currently he probably worked in the pottery industry. The bicycle was probably the only form of transport, other than walking, that he could afford.

Certainly it would be better if both parents didn't have to work to get through.

Try asking anyone to give up something they consider their right to own or do.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Grant.

i would like it to happen.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i would like it to happen.
    Me too. But we are blocking progress with Draconian laws. We will get over it I hope.

Health and safety has gone mad in this country and this is a perceived safety issue and the old minds of decision makers who can't really wise up to it.

One point this they never had these gadgets, therefore they do not trust them. Some truth in that I think.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Health and safety has gone mad in this country
    Somebody ought to tell the Indian builders and roofers around here. Clambering about high up with no scaffolds, just ladders. Lobbing rubble and slates into skips in the street, over the heads of whoever's trying to get past. Dangerous buggers!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast