+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigbottle MC Phonostage

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mayebaza View Post
    OK, it time for said owner of the phono stage to put his perspective on Saturday's events. Firstly there was the usual initial problem with hum arising from an earth loop when earthing the phono stage to TT. In all honesty it did not perform to its best, and was uncharacteristically smooth and laid back, which is not how it sounds when played at home or in Alan's setup, but that's the fickled world of hifi.

I did find the speakers at the venue had a more forward presentation if you sat at the front of the room, their sweet spot, for me was standing up at the rear of the room. This may account for the difference in perception of sound presentation.

I think the issue of the phono stage's lack luster performance laid more with the shortage of time to set up a rebuilt cartridge of an unknown quantity, it just how bake offs go sometimes.
    Hey Barry,

Thanks for adding your comments.

Look, we both *know* from listening to it, in our systems, that the phonostage certainly isn't lacklustre. It's just one of those things that happens sometimes.

I've heard things at Bakeoffs that made me sit up and take notice, bought one and under real scrutiny, been left underwhelmed.

It's quite obvious that it didn't work at MCRU for *whatever* reason. The only thing I don't understand is the ground loop issue. Do you have any issues at home? Or is this a known venue issue?

The bakeoff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. As long as, when you use it, you enjoy it, I'm happy. Customer/owner feedback is the real measure, and from our conversations, I don't worry

There will be other opportunities for people to hear the Bigbottle and see what they think. Hopefully in their own system, where all things should be judged!

Bigman80 Guest

Managed to get a bit more done. It's not easy with one hand!!!

Bought the RCA plugs from Valab (Taiwan) and Smangus kindly sent me another couple. Superb value at £10 for two pairs from Valabs eBay site. Gratis from Andy!

Thanks Andy

I've measured all of them and they are uniform in size. Fit and finish Excellent and the RCA plug fits very snug.

The IEC inlet is a Viborg gold-plated copper jobbie. £9. Delivered from China. Again, looks and feels very nice indeed. No complaints here!

In the fuse holder is a bit of Foo. A silver alloy Valab fuse lol. £2. I thought it'd a bit tongue in cheek so in it went.

No more now until I get the front plate off to fit the power switch.

Transformer still hadn't arrived. 31 days since I ordered. I'll be emailing soon!

I'm jamie.

i bet the waiting is killing you! worth it in the end though and im looking forward to hearing one.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i bet the waiting is killing you! worth it in the end though and im looking forward to hearing one.
    It is mate!

Unfortunately, Alan tells me I've got the sockets too close to the power inlet. Which is an absolute shitter.

I'll have to get a replacement rear panel

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It is mate!

Unfortunately, Alan tells me I've got the sockets too close to the power inlet. Which is an absolute shitter.

I'll have to get a replacement rear panel
    New plan, move the sockets, bung the holes lol

I'm Brian.

Shame Nice work though mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Glad to help out Oliver , shame about tje back panel, bummer. Looks really good though , rcas suit it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Glad to help out Oliver , shame about tje back panel, bummer. Looks really good though , rcas suit it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Yes they do!

Decided to make a new panel from acrylic. Not sure why but the use of the materials together appeals to me.

For now, Ive bunged another couple of holes in. I'll redo the back when I have the use of both hands.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Shame Nice work though mate
    Thanks Brian, it's to be expected. The painkillers im on are big enough to choke a Rhino so not surprised I overlooked the placement. Should only cost £10 and an hour of my time to redo a new rear panel. No drama, just more experience!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks Brian, it's to be expected. The painkillers im on are big enough to choke a Rhino so not surprised I overlooked the placement. Should only cost £10 and an hour of my time to redo a new rear panel. No drama, just more experience!
    what tabs are they feeding you oli
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast