+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigbottle MC Phonostage

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    If Macca was one of the blokes there yesterday I cannot imagine how he arrived at the conclusion that the sound was too forward - he must have found some of the other gear unbearably so!

As I wrote before, different loading was tried but to little effect.
    No, he wasn't, he heard it at my house.

Like I say, I can only surmise something wasn't optimal. Other than that, I've no idea what was going on.

I'll get this one made up when I can and get it out and about.

I'm Steve.

I'm almost finished my Bigbottle build ( my second build ) and have been following this thread with a great deal of interest.
    I'm really quite shocked to hear 2 conflicting views on Oliver's phono stage, I cant for the life of me understand how you could have complete contrasting results??? My first build was the red board and was still going through development but it was incredibly detailed and most certainly NOT bright and over forward and definitely not lack lutre.
    The soundstage was probably the best I've heard upto date.

When my (blue board, final revision) is complete I will give my views as to how it performs.

I would also say i found the final Blue board really quite easy to build, i got a full list or parts with part numbers and a diagram of where to put the parts on the board, much easier than a jigsaw puzzle.
    The only skill required in building is learning how to solder... PROPERLY...

Steve...
    Last edited by STD305M; 27-01-2019 at 14:15. Reason: Spelling corrections
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    I'm almost finished my Bigbottle build ( my second build ) and have been following this thread with a great deal of interest.
    I'm really quite shocked to hear 2 conflicting views on Oliver's phono stage, I cant for the life of me understand how you could have complete contrasting results??? My first build was the red board and was still going through development but it was incredibly detailed and most certainly NOT bright and over forward and definitely not lack lutre.
    The soundstage was probably the best I've heard upto date.

When my (blue board, final revision) is complete I will give my views as to how it performs.

Steve...
    Steve,

There's always going to be polarised views. I've heard stuff that people rave about and been underwhelmed. That's hifi!

Ultimately, the only view that matters is that of those of who own one. If they build it, learn something, improve their system and then enjoy it, I am more than happy. That was the objective when I set out.

Also, the PCB DIY project was a not for profit venture. It's been a success AFAIC, (30 sold in two weeks) and given me the opportunity to work from concept to completion.

I am happy.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 27-01-2019 at 14:43.

I'm Steve.

Hi Oliver
    A polarised view is one thing but both views were at opposition with each otger .
    One saying too forward and one saying lackluster and laid back.
    How do you figure ????
    One with overly sensitive ears and one deaf ????

Dont make sense!!!
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Oliver
    A polarised view is one thing but both views were at opposition with each otger .
    One saying too forward and one saying lackluster and laid back.
    How do you figure ????
    One with overly sensitive ears and one deaf ????

Dont make sense!!!

It's just HiFi.

I asked for the one fella to have a listen and he did. He gave me the feedback and that's all he can do.

Whether we agree or not is another thing.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 27-01-2019 at 15:05.

I'm Steve.

I guess your right mate!!
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    No, he wasn't, he heard it at my house.

Like I say, I can only surmise something wasn't optimal. Other than that, I've no idea what was going on.

I'll get this one made up when I can and get it out and about.
    No need to ‘surmise that something wasn’t optimal’ as cartridge setting on its own definately wasn’t optimal and experimentation with loading was cursors at best. No need for your ‘pals’ to rush to your rescue with slurs.

Steve, perhaps you are deaf!
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

No need to ‘surmise that something wasn’t optimal’ as cartridge setting on its own definately wasn’t optimal and experimentation with loading was cursors at best. No need for your ‘pals’ to rush to your rescue with slurs.

Mark,

There's no rescuing required either!

As you say, it definitely wasn't optimal for its performance and I am ok that the feedback reflects that.

I certainly don't want any negativity around this project due to disagreements, especially when it hadn't been heard as I would've hoped

The Project is there to engage the hifi community, not divide it.

Admittedly, the accounts of the performance are quite polar but it's ok. Like I said, that's HiFi!

I also received reports of a hum issue which was solved via some form of earthing. The idea of getting some feedback was for that purpose, to iron out any wrinkles.

Let's not fallout. Also I want to pick your brains about the Monoblocks you and si took. !

I'm Steve.

Mark
    You have my apologies, my comment wasn't ment as a slur.
    As for me being deaf, possibly but the phono stage really didn't sound lacklustre or forward and i don't understand, both comments were at odds with each other.

Once again you have my apologies

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Barrington.

OK, it time for said owner of the phono stage to put his perspective on Saturday's events. Firstly there was the usual initial problem with hum arising from an earth loop when earthing the phono stage to TT. In all honesty it did not perform to its best, and was uncharacteristically smooth and laid back, which is not how it sounds when played at home or in Alan's setup, but that's the fickled world of hifi.

I did find the speakers at the venue had a more forward presentation if you sat at the front of the room, their sweet spot, for me was standing up at the rear of the room. This may account for the difference in perception of sound presentation.

I think the issue of the phono stage's lack luster performance laid more with the shortage of time to set up a rebuilt cartridge of an unknown quantity, it just how bake offs go sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast